00. | 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙫𝙞𝙨𝙞𝙤𝙣

KAIROS
|
volume one mate

「 ✦ PROLOGUE—THE VISION ✦ 」

「 ✦ PROLOGUETHE VISION ✦ 」

☾𖤓

     The vision came to Alice like a storm. She gasped, suddenly standing from her seated position on the couch in the two-bedroom apartment she shared with Jasper after they had left Forks. Jasper was by his closest friend's side in seconds. "What do you see?" Jasper asked, worry etching his features. But Alice only smiled as the vision consumed her, and Jasper felt the happiness and love radiating off of her.

     The Cullen house stood nestled in the lush forest, its windows glowing with warmth. Alice's gaze fixed on a vampire with curly hair and amber eyes—a recent transitioner to the vegetarian diet. Flames danced on the girl's palm, their shapes resembling people. A smile graced the girl's face as Jasper joined her on a porch swing.

     They spoke in quiet tones, sharing stories of battles and losses. The flames in her palm now flickered as mere flames, no longer silhouettes. Jasper smiled—a genuine expression that wasn't common for him. "Show me, Thalia?" he asked. Thalia smiled again, her flames once more becoming silhouettes as they danced gracefully in her palm.

     Jasper stood, holding out his hand. Thalia extinguished the fiery silhouettes and took his hand. Both seemed to sport wedding bands on their left hands. They danced together in the moonlight, Thalia's flames twirling around them like magic. Their kisses tasted of eternity, of promises kept. Jasper whispered, "Forever?"

     Thalia smiled, her eyes reflecting starlight. "Forever."

     The vision faded into darkness. Alice let out an unneeded breath and smiled at Jasper. He seemed to understand the silence and the look in her eyes. "I've found your mate," Alice said. But then her face twisted into sadness and disbelief. Nervous that this was another first for his mate, Jasper sat Alice down and held onto her until she came out of the vision. "It wasn't of her—it was Bella. She jumped off a cliff, and I can't see anything anymore. She— I have to see for myself. She can't be dead."

"