Chapter 1

*Disclaimer* This story will contain suicidal thoughts throughout. If you are triggered or not comfortable with this please do not read!!!

Jack is 26 and still living at home. His mother is Linda. She's crazy, cruel and abusive. Jack's father left...his sisters have moved out and his younger brother is dead. So now it's just him and his cruel mother. He has no contact with his sisters and his father rarely talks to him although he does get birthday cards every year.

Linda: Jack, get down here!

Jack trudges down the stairs to see his mother stood there, holding a dustpan and brush.

Linda: Get down on your hands and knees and clean.

As Jack bends over, his mother grabs a belt and whips him a little bit.

Linda: Hurry up, you lazy little thing.
Jack: Yes mother.

He has never felt comfortable talking to his mother and he is hurt that his father left so soon after his brother died. He gets that it was hard for him but when his father was still around the abuse wasn't so bad. His mother glares when she sees tears pricking in the corner of his eyes.

Linda: Just hurry up.

Linda moves back to the living room, propping her feet up on a footstool.

Later that evening

Jack's room

He looks at the broken glass on the floor. The way it glitters. The sharp edges.

The glass has been there for days yet he can't be bothered to pick it up. He knows that if he touches it, the thoughts will return.

When Jack was fourteen, just after his father left, he fell into a deep depression and was extremely suicidal. His mother didn't care and he couldn't talk to his sisters. His father was grieving and he knew that if he spoke to his father about the possibility that he could lose another son, he would be locked in a room with no windows and only cushions.

So he was left to deal with the thoughts on his own. He snuck down to the kitchen at night and debated putting rat poison in his water. He broke glass bottles and gently stroked the shards with his fingers. He even cut his legs.

He never wore shorts for PE. He couldn't risk someone seeing the cuts. He couldn't talk to the school about it. They'd just get his mum in trouble. And even though she hates him, Jack loves his mum.