Prologue

Ikiane watched his partner shelter their eggs with her wings as she rested her head into his warmth. They both knew raising a hybrid family would be difficult. As a caverndweller, Vigil wasn't meant to lay eggs, but she did it, even though he almost lost her. To him, he believed it wasn't worth the risk, even though they both badly wanted to be parents. He admired her determination, but he felt like this was something they shouldn't have done, where he would be living a life of regret with kids he wouldn't be able to look at with a smile. Ikiane draped a wing over her tense, trembling body, nuzzling her forehead. He wished she was alert enough to have some kind of conversation, but he was lucky enough that she was eating a little, drinking some water, but that alone was enough to exhaust her. He knew she couldn't stay forever. That was the mistake he made, everyone knew that. She would have to go home, back to her life, and he would have to continue with his. There was no way he could protect his family like this, but he'll figure it out.

Eleven years later

Two.
Three.
Four.

Four months past his eleventh birthday, which was the average age for venom growth. Archer was late, and his closest friend was growing concerned. For weeks now, they had been tossing ideas back and forth as to why his venom hadn't grown in yet:

Exhaustion. (No.)
Malnourishment. (No.)
Abuse. (No, even though there was a lot of tension between him and his dad.)
Immortality. (Out of the question.)
Mixed blood. (Maybe?)

Ikiane was undoubtedly a purebred grenaryiane, and his mom was out of the picture, which would explain why his dad was so angry all the time. If Archer lost his partner and kids, he, too, would be angry at his empty life. Maybe he should search for his mom and learn to accept that his dad should die angry and alone.

Leatherleaf

“So…. you think she is still out there?”

“I don't know, Leaf! I just want to find her.” Archer said shakily.

“I know, but-”

“Come with me, please.” He pleaded.

“I can't, or at least I shouldn't.”

He understood her concern. There was a 50% chance of one or both of them coming back alive, but he was dying to meet her.

“Just think about it, please.”

Nightshade

  She leaned into her wings on the table with a soft groan. Just once she wished she could sleep without her nightmares.

“Good morning.” A soft voice spoke to her as a wing gently brushed her back.

“Did you get some sleep?”

Nightshade shook her head. “Not real-”

Knock. 
Knock.
Knock.

“Shade, you in there?” A voice called from the other side of the door.

“I'm dead.” She answered back.

“It's open.” Her partner answered, nudging her wings.

“Anyone home?” He asked, shifting impatiently at the doorway.

“It's Archie.” She said sleepily as she looked up with a yawn.

“Archie, it's open.”

A dark green dragon with light blue eyes and hints of gold and brown running through his fur walked in and nudged their wings.

“Morning guys. How'd you sleep?”

“Slept pretty good, but Shade on the other-”

“Again? Shade, it's not good to not sleep.”

“Tell that to my nightmares.” She snapped at him.

“Anyways, Shade, I was thinking-”

“What?”

“I want to find my mom.”

“No, grenaryianes don't travel to and from Drisdal, not without a death wish.”

“You go there all the time.”

“Adeniane doesn't care about another caverndweller from going in and out.”

Wait, she's not a grenaryiane?

Archer

All this time, she was lying? Was their friendship ever real? How could he have been so blind?

“How long are you planning on keeping this secret? Do I mean that little to you?”

“It's not like that, Archie. We didn't tell you because we didn't want you to get hurt.”

“You're not really Shade and Cypress, are you?”

“Archer, this is Jarsuune. He's my partner.”

“You lied to me.” He snapped at her.

“I had to. No one could know the reasons we were here.”

“You two know your way around Drisdal, then.”

Jarsuune nodded. “All caverndwellers are required to learn how to navigate the caves.”

“Then you can help me find my mom.”

“No, Archie. It's not safe.”

“You take me, or I'm telling Aloe the truth. The whole truth.”

Nightshade

If it was one thing she learned, Aloe hated trespassers in her forest.

“You wouldn't dare.”

“If you want your secret kept, you will take me to find my mom.”