Chapter one

"Pep talk.” Jarsuune broke the silence as he took Nightshade's talons and pulled her aside.

“I don't think we've got much of a choice.”

“Not really, but that's not my concern. He's not going to last five minutes down there.”

“If it comes to bringing Archer across the border, it beats getting our cover blown to bits.”

“Not if he gets eaten, remember?”

“Oh, yeah.”

All caverndwellers were cannibals, but Archer didn't know that. He and Shade didn't want him to find out.

“Tick tock, Shade. We're burning daylight.”

“I didn't say yes.” She snapped back at him.

“But you didn't say no.” Jarsuune pointed out, who received a glare from Nightshade as they walked back to Archer.

"Well? Do we have a deal or not?" He snapped.

"I need a few days, to think over your request."

"What? Why?"

"Nightshade hasn't been to Drisdal in years. Anything could've happened."

"You've been cut off from your home?"

"What did you expect? Reports from Drisdal to us would've raised a MASSIVE red flag. Adeniane knew that when he sent us."

"And yet, here you are, risking all of this, for me."

She scoffed. "No, we're not doing this for you."

Archer

"I trust you'll have your answer in a few days?" He asked Nightshade on the way out.

"We'll see. It depends on how quick Jarsuune can get that update on Drisdal's status."

"You know where to find me." He said, bidding his goodbye to them.

Leatherleaf

Knock.
Knock.
Knock.

She startled at the abrupt knocking at her door, where she saw Archer.

I wonder how it went.

Leatherleaf thought as she walked over to the door and opened it.

"Well?" She asked him as he walked silently past her.

"What did she say?"

"She said she needs a few days to think about it, find out Drisdal's status, things like that."

"Well, it's better than no."

"I was hoping we could just go. Tonight would've been nice. It just surprised me that two caverndwellers had no access to the life and homeland they left behind."

"Either Shade or Jarsuune has to actively communicate with the chief, if what I heard is true."

"I'm sorry? "What you heard?" What exactly did you hear?" Archer asked as he faced her.

She awkwardly scratched behind her frill. "I wasn't supposed to say."

"You can trust me, Leatherleaf. What did you hear?"

"I know what they're here for."

Nightshade

Drogonne.

Nightshade, good to hear your voice again. Anything new?

Yes and no, but first, I need to know our status.

The barrier is up and 95% successful. Argonne and Seonnyre are guarding one side while Kodak and Akai guard the other.

You said 95% successful?

Yes, with Akai, we've realized hybrids can cross the border with little effort. How's the infiltration process coming?

That's what I wanted to mention. Jarsuune and I are coming back for a bit.

Understood, just make sure you're not followed, please.

She slowly opened her eyes with a wince as Drogonne's voice faded from her mind, in which Jarsuune gently wrapped a wing around her.  He always knew telepathy gave her the worst headaches, and he knew exactly how to comfort her.

"What's the plan?" He asked, handing her some water.

"Drogonne said the barrier was 5% compatible with hybrids, so I think Archer will make it through. We'll leave first thing tomorrow. I'll go tell him."

"No, no, no. You rest, I'll tell him." He soothed, gently stroking her shoulders.

Archer

"So, we're leaving first thing tomorrow?" He spoke in a hushed tone.

"Yes, Nightshade will probably still be asleep by the time I leave, so I'll show up around 5:00-6:00."

"Alright. I'll see you in the morning."