Chapter 27

It's the night of the party.

Me and Duncan meet up with Samuel at the mansion ahead of time.

Yes a mansion. This place is way to big to even be considered anything close to a house.

As the night stretches out, the thought of people actually coming drops lower than gold at the bottom of the sea.

When all hope is lost we get ready to pack up everything but then........

A knock.

Knocking from the door implies that someone has come.

I open the door to find multiple people blitzing through the entrance like cars in a race.

Music begins playing and drinking get poured.

"Where did all these people come from!?" I question.

"I invited them." That voice stings my ears like a bee causing a allergic reaction.

Pearl.

"You invited the whole school?" I ask.

"Well I thought the best to get people to come to his party was to invite everyone. Who'd knew everyone would actually show up."

"You're Pearl, of course people'll show up if you're there!"

"Calm down, this is what you wanted right?"

As I turn I see Samuel indulging in drinks with Duncan and his football team.

He is the birthday boy.

"See, even he's having fun. Now c'mon." She drags me to the counter where she prepares shots for us to take together.

I've never drank before.

I've seen what it does to people.

It does not amuse me.

"I don't drink." I say through the booming music.

"Seriously? Don't you ever loosen up?"

"Only when I sleep?"

"Tonight changes that."

As I swallow the intoxicating liquid, the taste engulfs my throat with bitterness.

How do people enjoy this?

Pearl laughs at my discomfort.

We then take a few more shots before making our way to the dance floor.

I feel the liquor influencing my perception around me and my confidence suddenly spikes.

As me and Pearl dance to loud music and erratic lights that flicker on and off Willow enters the place.

I am too drunk too notice.

She then slithers through the crowd making her way to Samuel.

"Hey!" She shouts, trying to get his attention.

"You made it!"

"It wasn't easy! Have you seen Lycan!?"

"He's over there dancing with Pearl."

As she looks my way our eyes lock.

Lucas isn't here.

She's come alone.

I watch how her face turns to sadness when she see's Pearl so close to me. "This was a mistake."

She then storms out like global warming during the summer, regretting everything she did up to this point.

"Willow!" Samuel yell's.

With her leaving my attention gets quickly rewired to Pearl in front of me.

As the night continues me and her become the highlight of the night.

The Monster and the Mermaid.

The next day I wake, not to the rising sun but to hands gentle rubbing my face.

I slowly open my eyes, eyes blurred as I  process what I'm seeing before me.

It's Pearl.