Chapter 2

"Honey, I'm not even sure why you're so upset," Kathleen was sitting at the small, round table in her kitchen, drinking her coffee, as she listened to her daughter tell her about meeting Beau that morning. "He helped you get the car started, didn't he?"

A knowing smile came across Kathleen's face and her green eyes danced behind her round, thin framed glasses. If someone looked at photographs of a younger Kathleen, they might for a moment mistake it for Lenore except for the glasses. Kathleen's own red hair was also much darker, more auburn, with just the smallest touch of grey at the roots. She was slender like Lenore, but an inch taller. Their cupid's bow smiles, though, were identical.

"Yeah, but only so I would hurry and get out of his way." Lenore raised a blue coffee mug to her lips and took the first sip. She grimaced at the slightly bitter taste and reached across the table to the small sugar bowl that Kathleen had sat out. "It's not like it had anything to do with just being nice," she said with a sarcastic roll of her eyes.

Kathleen set down her cup and gave her daughter a pointed look.

"Lenore Rose, you don't know that. You don't have any idea what his motivations were for being less than pleasant with you. This was first thing in the morning and while you were casually on your way home, he was getting ready for a full day's work. And for all you know, he might have just gotten some terrible news or maybe he had an awful night, and woke up in a worse mood. Lord knows, you have more than a few times in your life."

Lenore stared down at the table as she felt that all to telling blush creep back up on her fair cheeks. It amazed her how a few sternly put words from her mother could always leave her feeling like a thoroughly scolded child. She nodded before taking another sip of her coffee. "Okay, I get it. You've made your point." She let out a short laugh to ease the tension. "And besides, it's not like I'm even going to see him again, so who cares?"

Kathleen arched a delicate eyebrow and pursed her lips, but said nothing.

Lenore looked around the brightly lit kitchen for something to change the subject when her eyes landed on the calender attached to the refrigerator. It had been there for as long as Lenore could remember. Kathleen kept up with everything with it. Important dates, birthdays, doctor's appointments, everything that happened, they were all cataloged on the dry erase calender. Looking at it now, Lenore noticed that there were hardly any days at all that didn't show Kathleen busy doing something.

"I'm here for you, remember," Lenore said, cheerfully. "What can I do to help you out this summer?"

Kathleen waved her hand in dismissal. "I'm fine. I don't know why your dad even called you."

Lenore sat back in her chair and crossed her arms over her chest. "Fine? Have you looked at your calendar recently?" she asked, pointing to the refrigerator.

Kathleen turned in her chair to look even as she shook her head. "What's wrong with it? So I'm a little busy. That's nothing new."

Lenore rolled her eyes and stood up. She walked around the table to get a closer look at the dates. "Mom, you've got something going on every day this week. How are you even going to have the store open if you're taking Nana to two different doctor's appointments in Knoxville on Tuesday? That'll be an all day thing."

Kathleen stood to place her empty coffee cup in the sink. "I've been closing those days. It's not a big deal. Everyone knows and they don't mind."

Lenore let her shoulders drop as she turned back to face her. She leaned her hip against the counter and said, "I'm sure they don't, but what if I took care of the store that day? Then you wouldn't have to close."

"You don't have to do that," Kathleen assured her.

"I know," she said as she pushed away from the counter so that she could stand in front of her mother, then reached out and took her hand in hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Mom, you do so much for everyone else. Let me help you for once."