✰𝙵𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚘𝚛 𝙳𝚎𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚢✰

A tall, black - haired witch in emerald - green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Y/n's first thought was that this was not someone to cross.

"The firs'-years, professor McGonagall" said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She replied, pulling the door wide open.

The entrance hall ahead was huge. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts. The ceiling was too high to make out and a magnificent Marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors. Wow! They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. The rest of the school must already be here because noice was flooding from a door to their right. They were sent into a small chamber. They were all squished together.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said Professor McGonagall, "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts."

Y/n could hear Professor McGonagall talking about classes and dorms but her last statement about the "family" stood with her. It made her feel warm.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

Y/n saw Harry desperately try to flatten his hair but it went back to its usual state stubbornly. It looked better messy anyway. Professor McGonagall said she'd be back to get them and left.

"Ron?" Y/n asked for her brother.

"Yeah?"

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" She asked.

Harry looked relieved that she'd brought this up.

"Some sort of test, I think" Ron said, "Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking"

A test? In front of the whole school? What if - she failed. Harry was looking around nervously. Harry? This was her problem, not Harry's! There was screams behind her. What the- She gasped. About twenty ghosts had floated through the wall, arguing with each other. When the ghosts finally seemed to notice that there was children in the room, they started talking about them instead. Professor McGonagall was back soon and had asked the first years to form a line. They were taken into the great hall which was lit by hundreds of floating candles. There were four long tables assigned to each house. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were seated. Professor McGonagall led the first-years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. When Y/n looked up she saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. She heard Hermione whisper that it was bewitched to look like the sky outside. When she looked back, professor McGonagall had placed a stool in front of them. On top of the stool she put a pointed wizard's hat. The hat was patched and frays and extremely dirty. Silence...for a few seconds. Then the hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth - and the hat broke into song.

"𝙾𝚑, 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚊𝚢 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔 𝙸'𝚖 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢,
𝙱𝚞𝚝 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚓𝚞𝚍𝚐𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚜𝚎𝚎,
𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚎𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚢𝚜𝚎𝚕𝚏 𝚒𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍
𝙰 𝚜𝚖𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗 𝚖𝚎.
𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚔𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚋𝚘𝚠𝚕𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚋𝚕𝚊𝚌𝚔,
𝚈𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚝𝚘𝚙 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚜 𝚜𝚕𝚎𝚎𝚔 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚕,
𝙵𝚘𝚛 𝙸'𝚖 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙷𝚘𝚐𝚠𝚊𝚛𝚝𝚜 𝚂𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙷𝚊𝚝
𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚌𝚊𝚙 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚖 𝚊𝚕𝚕.
𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎'𝚜 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚒𝚍𝚍𝚎𝚗 𝚒𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚍
𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚌𝚊𝚗'𝚝 𝚜𝚎𝚎,
𝚂𝚘 𝚝𝚛𝚢 𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚗 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝙸 𝚠𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞
𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚝𝚘 𝚋𝚎.
𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝙶𝚛𝚢𝚏𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚛,
𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚍𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚛𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚝 𝚑𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚝,
𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚗𝚎𝚛𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚟𝚊𝚕𝚛𝚢
𝚂𝚎𝚝 𝙶𝚛𝚢𝚏𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚘𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚙𝚊𝚛𝚝,
𝚈𝚘𝚞 𝚖𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚋𝚎𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝙷𝚞𝚏𝚏𝚕𝚎𝚙𝚞𝚏𝚏,
𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚢 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚘𝚢𝚊𝚕,
𝚃𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙷𝚞𝚏𝚏𝚕𝚎𝚙𝚞𝚏𝚏𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚎
𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚞𝚗𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚍 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚘𝚒𝚕,
𝙾𝚛 𝚢𝚎𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚎 𝚘𝚕𝚍 𝚁𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚕𝚊𝚠,
𝙸𝚏 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚟𝚎 𝚊 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚢 𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍,
𝚆𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚘𝚏 𝚠𝚒𝚝 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐,
𝚆𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚊𝚕𝚠𝚊𝚢𝚜 𝚏𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚍,
𝙾𝚛 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚜 𝚒𝚗 𝚂𝚕𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚗
𝚈𝚘𝚞'𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚊𝚔𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚕 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜,
𝚃𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚎 𝚌𝚞𝚗𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚘𝚕𝚔 𝚞𝚜𝚎 𝚊𝚗𝚢 𝚖𝚎𝚊𝚗𝚜
𝚃𝚘 𝚊𝚌𝚑𝚒𝚎𝚟𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚒𝚛 𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜.
𝚂𝚘 𝚙𝚞𝚝 𝚖𝚎 𝚘𝚗! 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚛𝚊𝚒𝚍!
𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚍𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚒𝚗 𝚊 𝚏𝚕𝚊𝚙!
𝚈𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚒𝚗 𝚜𝚊𝚏𝚎 𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚍𝚜 (𝚝𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚐𝚑 𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚗𝚘𝚗𝚎)
𝙵𝚘𝚛 𝙸'𝚖 𝚊 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚌𝚊𝚙!"