Tale of unrequited Love

[Flashback]

Her life had turned into a living nightmare. Betrayal, lies, heartbreak... was that all that had been left for her? Trust, happiness... did they really forget the way to her house? Was she really too innocent to exist with this world? Smile had forgotten its address and had been replaced by an empty loneliness forever lingering in her deep black eyes. Ajay's words still rang in her ears, crumbling her, striking her, every time she thought about that disturbing day. Aarushi had taken days off from school after her heated argument with Ajay last time; too broken to face him another time, too afraid to get her hopes up again after seeing him. Her parents had been sick worried after witnessing her terrible tears and refusal to talk.

Aarushi even after everything; couldn't bring herself to tell them anything about Ajay or his words. But her hesitation didn't extend to others, modifying their statements to sound more humane, she had let her parents know a few elements. Pramila and Raghvendra apart from consoling their daughter; had been considerably furious and demanded to have a talk with people Aarushi had mentioned.

Scared inviting a few more backslashes, Aarushi had eventually managed to talk her parents out of chiding people, assuring them that it wasn't a big deal and she would be fine in no time. Though she hated herself for still caring for that boy, but still somewhere, she still couldn't believe he had said all those things she had been told.

'Aarushi', Ajay's voice fell upon her ears as she walked through the corridor after her return to school that day. No, she won't turn back; she won't fall for his sweet words yet another time. 'Aarushi', his voice was more hastened and anxious as he halted before her. Aarushi didn't stop or spare a glance at him. He was nothing more than an invisible object for her. 'Aarushi, don't avoid me, please. It's not like what you are thinking, I had wanted to explain it all to you but you were absent these days', he continued desperately matching her pace.

'Will you please listen to me? For this once, please', he said blocking her way. Aarushi finally looked up to meet a pair of anxious and despaired black eyes. 'I had heard all I wanted to hear. Truth and lies, both; there's nothing left. As for you, well, I have really brilliant news to share with you. Just bear with me for another year, I am leaving this school after that. Finally there would be no one annoying the hell out of you', Aarushi said in a calm yet emotionless voice. She walked away leaving a dumbfounded Ajay.

'It's not only you, even I'm leaving after next year', he said staring at the ground below him. Aarushi turned around, thunderstruck. Her words weren't exactly a sham, her parents had previously considered changing schools for higher studies, it was almost certain by now. But hearing same thing from Ajay crashed a heavy stone right through her heart. A year, that's it?

'But that doesn't mean, I'll not clear up my name. Please just this once, listen to me', he said with eyes boring right through her soul, making her enter into an unconditional agreement. 'Just this once', Aarushi said careful to not crack her voice.

'Darsh told you all this nonsense, right? He had been sprouting nonsense about me ever since all these gossips began circulating. It's not only you, but others have also fallen for his trap. He is envious and manipulative, I had told you to avoid it all because people had came to me reporting all kinds of things I never said or did. You were already perturbed and emotionally at unrest by rumors, given the situation it would be no herculean task to manipulate you. Darsh... he... he took advantage of this fact to create ridge between you and me', Ajay said. Aarushi's mind told her to not trust his convincing words, but her heart, gave her no reason to not trust him.

'It wasn't only Darsh, Ajay... Juhi, Divya, Vaani... what about them? What makes you think I should trust your statements in front of all these people?', Aarushi asked impatiently.