Chapter 8.1: Childhood Friends?

Background Story

As Fumiko excused herself to give Leo and Ella some space, she headed towards the food stalls, hoping to grab a snack and give them time to reconnect. She hadn't gone far when she heard a voice call out behind her.

"Fumi, wait up!" Hana called, hurrying over with Yuki in tow. "Tell us what is up with Leo and Ella?". "Yeah, how are they so familiar to each other?" Yuki adds.

Fumiko paused and turned to face them, a knowing smile on her lips. "It's a long story, but they were best friends back in elementary school."

Hana's eyes widened with curiosity. "Really? How did they meet?"

Yuki nodded eagerly. "Yeah, we want to know!"

Fumiko glanced back at Leo and Ella, who were deep in conversation, then gestured for Hana and Yuki to follow her to a quieter spot. They found a bench under a tree and sat down, ready to hear the story.

"Okay," Fumiko began, "it all started in elementary school. Leo was new to the school and pretty shy. Ella was one of the first people to talk to him. They quickly became inseparable."

Hana and Yuki exchanged excited glances. "Seriously? That's so cute!" Yuki exclaimed.

"Yeah, but how did they become friends in the first place?" Hana asked, her curiosity piqued.

Fumiko chuckled, falling into step with them. "It's a long story.

"Tell us Fumi, my curiosity is killing me!" Yuki exclaimed as she asked Fumiko

"They met in first grade when Ella stood up to Jason for Leo, she stood up for Leo every chance she got," Fumiko said, admiration in her voice.

"She'd always tell Jason off and try to protect Leo. That's one of the reasons why they became so close. Ella was like a shield for Leo."

Yuki's expression softened. "That's sweet. But what happened after that, if they are friends why is Ella so surprised about Leo being here?"

Fumiko sighed, her eyes distant with memory. "After a few years, Leo's family moved away. He promised Ella he'd come back one day. They lost touch, but it looks like Leo kept his promise."

Hana smiled, touched by the story. "That's so romantic and sad at the same time."

"Yeah," Fumiko agreed. "And now they're finally back together. It's like fate."

Yuki glanced at Leo and Ella, who were engrossed in conversation. "I hope things go well for them."

Fumiko nodded in agreement. "Yeah, they deserve some happiness."

Hana's brow furrowed. "Wait, isn't Jason... Ella's...?"

Fumiko sighed, knowing what Hana meant. "Unfortunately, yes. Jason and Ella have been a thing for a while now."

The three friends fell into a brief silence, their expressions reflecting a mix of concern and curiosity. The connection between Leo and Ella was special, and they couldn't help but wonder what the future held for them.

After the silence, Fumiko together with Hana and Yuki returned to the table with a tray of snacks, their mind still reeling from the unexpected reunion.

"Did we miss anything?" she asked, taking her seat next to Leo.

"Just reminiscing about old times," Leo replied, his eyes shining with fond memories.