Prologue: A lost life

It was dark and forlorn as a drunken figure stumbled into an alleyway shrouded in darkness. Nothing else seemed to stir as the grumblings of the drunk echoed through the alley. Anyone who passed by seemed to ignore him as they continued on their way.

But one man who wore the uniform of a police officer seemed to have been following him as he ducked into the darkness that surrounded a nearby dumpster. There had been rumors of people going missing in the area and the police had been trying to find out why. The police officer who watched the drunk fiddled with his holster that held the pistol he had used in self defense too many times to count in his whole career.

But as he watched the drunk saunter along in the darkness there came a new figure who he never saw before. As he watched that figure with new wariness the drunk knelt in sickly tiredness. The stranger put a gentle hand on the man's shoulder and with a flash of light the drunk was gone. In utter shock the officer watched the figure turn to look at him as his eyes glinted red from the refracting lights beyond.

'No one will believe me.' The officer told himself as he backed away stumbling and falling as the stranger approached slowly his hands at his sides as he stalked over. The fear that plagued the officer was overwhelming as he scrambled away screaming of the monster he had seen.