Chapter 3:

The alarm clock went off on my nightstand and I sat up with a start, realizing it was morning I relaxed a bit and reached over to hit the snooze. On the night stand near the clock sat the bell Evander had mysteriously fixed, I had kept it out of a whim since I had never received something from anyone else before. I climbed out of bed tapping the bell once before going to clean up and get ready for my shift.

When I grabbed my purse I glanced at the tv to see a crude drawing of a monster with long fangs red eyes and scruffy black hair. "This just in, the Brookhollow monster has struck again. This time in the vicinity of the comfort food diner, a group of drunk miners encountered the monster and disappeared. The only witness was an officer who had been in the area on patrol. This drawing is his depiction of that monster." The reporter was saying.

I studied and memorized the picture before turning to leave not bothering to say goodbye to my drunk parents who had passed out on the floor. Evander had the room next to mine since it was the only one free. I knocked on his door and heard noise as if something fell and the door opened to reveal a bedraggled Evander who smiled when he saw me.

"Good morning me'lady," he said pompously as he bowed at the hip a bit and backed up granting me entry. "Please come in, I was just getting ready for work. I've been hired as a waiter on the same shift as you, if that's alright with you."

"I-it's fine," I stuttered as I watched him straighten his shirt and tighten his belt that had been hanging lose. He then began running his hands through his black curly hair pulling it to sit just so. I blushed madly as I turned away ashamed of myself for the feelings and thoughts that had started to take control of my mind.

I heard Evander chuckle as he grabbed his shoes and slipped them onto his feet before putting a hand on my shoulder. The touch made me shutter and freeze knowing by instinct and experience with my father why the hand was there. I started to regret going into that apartment as my body started to shake but all he did was give my shoulder a reassuring squeeze and walk to the door.

"Come," I heard him whisper, "we will be late if we don't hurry." I turned to look at him and nodded nervously knowing how close he had been but oddly liking it and wanting him close again. But we hurried to work silently my thoughts and feelings being pushed aside.

"You're cutting it a bit close there Ember." The cook growled as I clocked in and put on my apron.

"I'm five minutes early," I curtly replied. He scowled at me and lifted his finger waving it threateningly at me. Evander silently clocked in before again putting a hand on my shoulder and walked by me. I stiffened at his touch but not as much as I did before.

"You'll have to train him." The cook said as he turned back to the stove. I frowned but turned to do my job by first looking to see where Evander was. He was just standing there in front of the bar table talking to a man that looked sad.

I waited watching him calmly knowing comfort was what that man needed, they talked for a while longer before Evander prayed for him. He actually bowed his head and prayed out loud for the man before patting his shoulder and turning back to me. I was shocked since no one around there prayed for others and especially not out loud.

"So what do I do first?" Evander queried as he walked closer to me his hand adjusting his apron that was tied around his waist. My eyes watched his movements before I realized what I was doing and I shook my head feeling my face grow warm before I motioned for him to follow.

I showed him how to take orders and bring food to customers taking care not to confuse him. He seemed to pick it up as if he had done it before, but I wanted to work with him a little longer to make sure he was ok alone. By the time I knew he'd be fine the day was half gone and I had few people to wait on.

"So how long have you worked here?" Evander's voice whispered as we watched the almost empty room.

"About two years," I whispered in return.

"And you never got help until now?" His face showed the shock and confusion that I knew he'd have.

"I don't work well with anyone, and those who I had to train always quit after the first day." I turned away to see a group of people enter the building drunk as sailors. "Oh no, not again."

Evander heard my words and turned to see what I stared at, the drunks staggered in and started making a ruckus. They walked up to tables that others were sitting at and disrupted the occupants with their jeers and laughing. They threw things about and some even tried to stab others.

Silently Evander walked to them and crossed his arms over his chest as he glared sternly. "Get out of here in Yeshua's Name you demons of the depths of destruction." He demanded calmly as he pointed to the door. A scream suddenly erupted from the drunks that sounded inhuman as they fell to their knees in agony. As I watched they writhed and trembled before a cloud of black fog seeped out of them and out the door.

The drunks were no longer drunk as they turned their eyes on Evander and looks of terror replaced their looks of pain. Then a scream escaped each of their mouths as they turned and ran out of the building.