three

"That little slut" announces Adrian, my best friend since primary. Were both laying by the patio in her backyard. "It's too bad though." She says, sipping from her soda.

"why's that?"

"Drew's hot. What other reason. And you guys have been together since, what? Freshman? I can't even get a guy because of my brother." 

I hear the screen door open and close. "Speaking of..." I sigh.

"Wha? Abel I told you Liza and I have the pool for 2 hours." She exclaims sitting up. 

"I'm not gonna be using the pool you monkey" He walks past us both and walks into their shed, and appears with a styrofoam baseball bat. "Tell mom I'll be at Romeo's till 5." 

"whatever." Liza lays back down.

"Goodbye beloved sister. Liza." I nod my head at him. 

"So what are you gonna do about Drew?" Adrian asks once we hear the screen slam close. 

"I dunno. I cried 2 nights ago, and threw up last night. Think I'm good now."

"Kay well go easy on the pizza. I don't want any of your upturn in my pool." I roll my eyes at her.

"I guess once school starts again I'll ignore him. Pretend we never happened. Plus I told him to never speak to me."

"good luck with that. That boy won't back off.''

"Whats that suppose to mean?"

"It means he's gonna try to talk to you. If I'm being honest Liza, that prick was in love with you. Believe it or not, everyone who could, could see it. He could not keep his hands off you. Made me rather uncomfortable actually."

"yeah well he won't bother me.'' I convince myself. 

3 nights later, I'm cooking up a dinner for my mom. To my surprise, she's obeyed my rules. I'm not finding any cigars or ashes around the house or behind her head board, she's gone to the obstetrician when appointments come up, and attended all Dr Driti's sessions. Now I'm making a basic salmon due to her pregnancy cravings. She's gotten much healthier too. She's eaten more and is fully showering. But still, shes swearing in every sentence, sleeping more than ever, and is cranky beyond belief. 

"Lime." She demands, sliding the salmon plate toward me. I scoff and throw her a lime, which she doesn't catch and ends up landing on the ground behind her. She sighs dramatically and looks up at me expectantly. 

"SERIOUSLY?"

"Look at me Liza. I've got a front ass. Don't expect me to get up and bend over. I've got to be healthy." She mocks.

I pick it up for her. "Would you like me to squeeze it for you too, your highness?" 

"Don't flatter yourself Liza." She snatches the lime from my fingers and squeezes it up on the salmon. She eats the salmon while I clean my mess. "What's the matter with you." Her raspy voice tickles my neck. 

"Nothing."

"Don't try lying, I'm your mother."

"You don't act like it."

"WHAT WAS THAT?"

I drop the pan into the sink. "Drew cheated on me."

"Drew as in, the handsome one who lays in your bedroom all the time?"

"Yes mother, that one."

"Huh." She looks down at the plate. "How'd you find out?" 

"Coupon in his car."

"And did you use it?!"

"Duh, I used it right after I found out.'' She nods in approvement. 

She continues to eat, fork screeching against the plate.

"Aren't you gonna comfort me, or tell me what to do?"

"Well what would you like me to say Liza? You don't need my advice. For heaven's sake I got myself pregnant by accident."

"right."

"You can handle it without me, you've always been haven't you?" 

My jaw locks. "I'm gonna shower. Make sure to finish that." I close my closet door and cry for the 6th day.