Family

- - -

Three years had passed, and Alice had become increasingly adept at honing her abilities. She devoted much of her time to practicing her magic. With subtle gestures, she would practice on the mice she's find in the kitchen, making them levitate, freeze, or even vanish momentarily before reappearing unharmed.

She'd start feeling compassion for them until she'd realize that they would inevitably become prey for Nolwenn, who engulfed one of the mice she had thrown his way.

"That one was simply .. exquisite" declared Nolwenn with a subtle flick of his tongue, seeming to enjoy his dinner.

"Make sure to digest it slowly this time. You mentioned having it rough last week," advised Alice with a teasing smile.

"That one was simply larger than I had anticipated," he defended.

Nolween peeked through the kitchen windows as Alice cleaned up the remnants of Nolwenn's dinner from the counter, a soft moonlight casting a gentle glow in the darkened space. It was nearing 2 am.

The silence of the late hour enveloped them, broken only by the occasional whisper of the soft wind outside and the gentle hum of the refrigerator. Despite the lateness of the hour, there was a tranquility in the air, a sense of calm that seemed to settle over the kitchen like a comforting blanket.

Alice found herself alone in the house, her foster parents having taken Emily to London for a consultation with more renowned doctors due to her worsening condition. They wouldn't return until tomorrow afternoon.

"Alice, look. It's snowing," softly pointed out Nol, raising himself higher to admire the winter snow.

Nol's dark, sinuous form curled elegantly on the kitchen counter, his sleek scales catching the faint moonlight filtering through the window. Beside him, Alice leaned in closer, her delicate frame silhouetted against the soft glow of the falling snow. 

With her elbows resting on the counter, she cradled her head in her hands, her eyes sparkling with fascination as she watched each delicate snowflake dance in the night sky. Together, they formed a scene of quiet contemplation, their figures illuminated by the gentle radiance of the winter night.

In that serene moment, a feeling of nostalgia washed over Alice, enveloping her in a bittersweet embrace. She longed for time to stand still, to freeze this fleeting moment in eternity. It was a moment of pure contentment, where the world outside ceased to exist, and only the quiet beauty of the snowfall remained, a cherished memory etched into the fabric of her soul.

"Say, Nol," she gently spoke, her voice barely above a whisper yet tinged with curiosity.

"Yes ? Alice, Is something the matter?" Nolwenn turned his small head towards her, his dark eyes reflecting her concern as he gave her his full attention.

"Nothing, actually. I have never felt more at ease" she answered, a serene smile gracing her lips as she leaned against the counter, her gaze drifting to the snowy scene outside.

"Very glad to hear it" he replied, a hint of relief evident in his voice as he gently nodded, flicking his tongue in thought.