2|

The two of them rode a taxi to Fitz's house instead of having his mother drive. It was easier on the gas for her car, and they knew that she was studying for something.

"Ma, we're home!" Fitz called, dropping his keys into the bowl by the door. "I brought Simmons!"

They found his mother sitting at the kitchen table, hurriedly stacking books on top of each other. "Hello, dear," Mrs. Fitz greeted warmly, engulfing him in a hug. She turned to Simmons. "And you. Leo talked about you."

"All good things, I hope," Simmons said earnestly. "It's lovely to meet you. You seem even better in person. He talks about you at school."

Mrs. Fitz smiled. "Does he?"

"Oh yes," Simmons assured her with a grin at Fitz's annoyed face. "Daily. He gushes on and on about you, especially after your weekend calls."

Mrs. Fitz drew Fitz in for a quick hug. "Good, darling boy." She released him to go to the oven. "I made cookies for you two. I hope you like red velvet. Leo, dear, why don't you set Jemma up in the guest room?"

Simmons lit up at the prospect of cookies and handed Fitz her bag. "Thank you, Leo," she said with a smug smile.

He made a face at her expression and trudged towards the hallway with two rooms. One was his. Across the hall was the guest room. He dropped Simmons' bag off before flinging his own onto his bed and going back.

He was stopped by the sounds coming from his mother's room, and Fitz went to investigate. He found the radio on, tuned to the news channel. There was a notebook on her desk, filled with notes about year 12 math and science and things. Fitz smiled and was careful not to leave any sign he was inside before he left.

Quiet chatter came from the kitchen, and try as he might, Fitz couldn't eavesdrop.

"Are you..." he walked in slowly, trying to figure it out. "Are you two speaking in French?"

"Mais, oui," his mother said blithely. "Ce n'est pas difficile, mon cher. Je l'ai appris à l'école, il y a longtemps."

Fitz stared at her, puzzled. He looked at Simmons, who shrugged. "And you, what do you have to say to this?" he demanded.

She shrugged again. "Ta mère a demandé si je peux parler en français, et j'ai dit « oui ». C'est rien. Tu ne t'inquiète pas pour ça, oui?" Simmons smiled at the look on his face. "Oh, relax, Fitz. Est-il comme ça beaucoup?"

Mrs. Fitz nodded. "Tu veut une biscuit, chérie?" She handed the plate over to Simmons and sighed, hands on her hips. "I need to catch up on some work. You two can settle in, or Leo, you can show the darling girl around town!"

His mother's voice receded as she disappeared into her bedroom, and Fitz kept his gaze on his friend.

"Do you want me to show you around?" he mumbled.

"Of course," she said brightly, looping her arm into his. "And don't worry. We didn't say anything bad about you."

"Mmm." Fitz led her out to the town. "I can imagine."

"Really, I promise," Simmons said. "I'd never say anything bad about you behind your back. To your face, maybe, but never behind your back."

"Mmm, that's so comforting," he replied dryly. "Here is the grocer's. We'll come back later so I can run some errands for my ma. I'll show you the library."

Simmons lit up. "A library?"

Fitz returned her grin. "Yeah. I basically grew up there. There's a lab right next to it. I, um..." his smile faded a little. "I used to go there with my father. When he left, I went by myself."