The Dangerous Man

I can hear heavy, slow footsteps behind me. I feel eyes staring at the back of my head. As soon as I turn around, nothing.

For days, I've felt as if someone was watching me. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I hear a cough and I spin around. I see feet shuffle behind a car. I call out to them, telling them to show themselves.

A dark figure emerges from behind the car. I gasp and start running down the street, towards my house. I hear the footsteps right behind me. If I don't try to run faster, they'll get me. I don't know who's chasing me, but I need to get away.

My house comes into view and I push myself to run faster. It's 10 yards away. I keep running. 5 yards. As soon as my feet hit my front yard, I feel a hand grab my shoulder. I scream and push it away. I climb the steps and fumble with the door knob before entering and locking the door. I run to the phone and dial 9-1-1.

I go around the house, locking the windows and doors. I run into my room and lock the door, hiding in the closet. I tell the operator all that has happened.

Within half an hour, I hear cop cars rush down the street, their sirens wailing like newborn babies. I start to get up when I hear gun shots. I scream and crawl back into my closet.

I don't know who was shot and I'm too scared to find out. I stay in my closet for multiplevhours. Where are my parents? Why haven't they come home yet? What if...no, I shouldn't think negatively. Everything is going to be okay. I know it is.

I start to fall asleep, and within minutes, I'm dreaming about breakfast with my family. I'm woken up by a banging on my front door.

I quietly unlock my door and tip-toe to the front. I peek out the window and a police officer is standing in the doorway. I slowly open the door, revealing only part of my face. The cop forces the door open and I jump back. What is he doing?! I contemplate running or not.

I dash out the door before he can stop me. When I run down the steps, I see pools of blood, spread all over the ground. There are countless bodies all over the lawn. The bodies are dressed in blue uniforms, cops. In the back of a cop car, I see my parents. They're tied up, struggling to get free.

I run over to them and try pulling open the door, it's locked. The man walks down the steps, with a gun in his hands. I look back at my parents and run across the yard to the woods.

I know the man is behind me, chasing after me. I'm going to lead him somewhere far away from here. He won't know how to get back. Hopefully, this will buy my parents some time to escape. I run towards the train tracks.

I've come here so many times, trying to build up enough courage to actually go through with standing in front of the train, letting it hit me. I always move, just in time. What stops me every time is...him. Without him, I would be nothing. He keeps me thinking that I have a purpose for living. He's the reason I live. In a situation like this, there's not much he can do, he lives across the country.

I need to keep running. I hear the sounds of a train coming towards us. I tense up, remembering the last time I was here. Some guy...saved me. He pushed me out of the way. Could he help me now? I look around, searching for a blonde-haired boy. On the other side of the tracks, I see him.

The train is only feet in front of me. I quickly run across, to his side, still running. Once I reach him, I look back to look for the man. I don't see him anywhere. I panic and hold onto Gonzo, the saver of my life, once again. He holds me, calming me down.

As the train passes by, I see the man, standing there. I grab Gonzo's hand and pull him to run away, but he doesn't budge. "Gonzo! Let's go! He'll kill us!" He still doesn't move. He stares at the man. "Gonzo?"

He slowly turns his head toward me. "Run." I step toward him.

"What? Come on! Come with me! We can run away!" I look down at his chest, a bullet lies lodged in between his skin. "No...Gonzo..." I wrap my arms around his body. How did I let this happen? "Lie down. I'm going to end this." I walk across the tracks, not afraid of him anymore.

"You've done enough hurting. Why don't you tell me what you want from me? What is it that you have to kill 12 police officers, tie up my parents, and shoot Gonzo?" The man looks at me for a few seconds before laughing in my face. "What the hell is so funny?" He keeps laughing. "You're sick."

I kick his knee cap, making him fall to the ground. He doesn't stop laughing. I move closer to him, slowly. I pull the gun from his hands. He turns over, continuing to laugh.

I run back over to Gonzo and help him up. I keep looking behind me and he doesn't move.

I lead Gonzo back to my house. I break the glass to let my parents out and they rush Gonzo to the hospital.

I slowly walk back towards the forest. After twists and turns, I hear a train horn. My feet came into contact with the gravel near the train tracks. I step onto the tracks and close my eyes, feeling peace at last. The train gets closer, blaring its horn. I feel the rush of the train inches away from me. The hard impact of the vehicle hits me and I feel at rest, finally. My soul rises from my body. I'll never have to be on this earth ever again. I'm free at last.