Chapter Four

FAYE AND JOE have continued to talk a lot lately. He's been teasing her sometimes and also complimenting her a lot. She started going to German class a lot and eventually, they started becoming somewhat good friends. She is in his circle now and knows a few more people than before. Their relationship seemed to expand oddly. They talked about things that she knew about. She began to find out more about him. He wasn't interesting. He wasn't someone she could like. Someone she could never talk to. His voice was repetitive, his stories, repetitive. His tone and his days, are repetitive. There seemed to be little to no creativity within himself. She wondered how they would get along. Does she have to pretend to be basic just like him? Faye didn't want to be basic. She didn't wanna stand out a lot either. Leaving her quite confused about what it is she wants in this world. Faye wasn't the kind of girl to even know what to love. She doesn't know how to live the way she wants to live.

     She and Wayne  have been talking a lot more. He drops her off at her place whenever he has the chance or whenever she or he asks. He seems to like her presence. He also seems to think about her a lot. He doesn't know why. In his kind of lifestyle he never really had to know. He stared at the clock whenever the hours got boring. He stared at the door waiting for something interesting to happen. He wonders why he was even here in the first place. He would much rather be at home with his mother and take care of her. He would also like to abandon that lifestyle, but he knows he'll be going back pretty soon. Yet his father was very persistent on getting to reconnect over the summer. He looked over his shoulder and one of his colleagues went up to him.

    "Who's that girl that comes by? Is she your girlfriend?" The girl asked. He rolled his eyes and nodded his head. Then immediately shook it.

    "No- No. She's not my girlfriend. She's just someone I know that's all. A friend I guess." He said while continuing to stare out the window and waiting for the bell connected to the door to ring.

    "Well, I see her in high school sometimes." Wayne nodded his head. "How come you don't go to school with her?" He knew she was flirting with him. Yet he didn't want to discourage it.

    "Well, I guess things got a little busy in my life. Had to sacrifice a few things for a few people. I'm here now and I'm doing just fine." the girl nodded her head. He forgot her name, Emily, Marie? Dian? Poe. He thought about Poe. The name Poe. A name that is not so common yet heard of. He heard that name from somewhere but has not a clue when or where. He wanted to see her again. He wanted to get closer to her. He wanted to skip the unsaid parts of getting into a relationship. But he also didn't mind to take his time with her. He already knew her, he already understood her, what else is there? Wayne  knew what she would like and what she wouldn't like. He already knew what kind of foods to show her, and what states she'd like. He already understood almost everything about her at this point. Yet he still knew that they needed to get to know each other. There have been plenty of relationships that can agree to that certain process.

    He began to think about all of the relationships he's had. Quite a lot. This is the first time he found someone like Faye attractive. In Kentucky, there weren't a lot of options to choose from, but he never really complained. This is the first time he's found someone a little bit more different than the usual spectrum he goes for. Blondes and blue eyes with freckles seem to be a common thing for him. Yet he likes her. Her soft jawline and pale to tan skin. He could tell that she got tan in the summer, but during the awkward months of winter, things changed for her. Wayne  looked at his co-worker who was eating ice cream. He finally remembered the name. "You're twenty? Right, Marie?"

    "Yeah. Turning 23 in August." Wayne  nodded his head and looked away. "I might have a big party. Twenty-three is kind of a big deal." He turned his head again and smiled.