003.

AS I STEPPED OUT OF THE CAR, THE CHILLY EVENING AIR WRAPPED around me, causing goosebumps to rise on my skin despite the warmth of my silk navy dress. The sound of chatter and laughter drifted through the air, mingling with the soft strains of music coming from inside the mansion. I took a deep breath, steeling myself for the evening ahead.

The sight of the line of expensive cars parked in front of Katie's mansion sent a wave of intimidation crashing over me. I had never been comfortable in settings like this, surrounded by wealth and luxury that felt so far removed from my own modest upbringing. And tonight, with Blake by my side, I felt even more out of place.

Blake had insisted on accompanying me to the gathering, his presence looming over me like a shadow. He was handsome, with sharp features and a confident stride that drew attention wherever he went. But beneath his charming facade lurked a darker side, one that I had become all too familiar with over the years.

As we made our way towards the entrance, Blake's hand pressed possessively against the small of my back, his touch sending a shiver down my spine. I forced a smile, trying to ignore the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I knew better than to defy him in public.

The grandeur of Katie's mansion loomed before us, its towering columns and sweeping staircase a stark reminder of the stark divide between our worlds. It was a world of opulence that I was familiar with, to some extent, but this kind of excess was on a whole other level.

As we stepped inside, the air was thick with the scent of expensive perfume and the sound of laughter echoed off the marble floors. My eyes scanned the crowd, searching for a familiar face amidst the sea of unfamiliar ones.

When I was unable to spot Katie, I made my way to the bar as Blake excused himself to the bathroom. I ordered two shots of vodka, before downing them quickly. When Blake returned back we did another round of shots before he ordered me a cocktail and himself a beer.

I couldn't help but feel a little saddened that everyone knew each other here yet I knew no one, and Katie was no where to be seen. Camden hadn't seemed to turn up, or maybe he just wasn't invited.

As much as I hated to admit it, the past week had been filled with memories of Camden. His gorgeous face haunted my thoughts, a cruel reminder of a past I couldn't escape. Why were the worst ones always so handsome? It was like the universe's twisted joke, giving the most beautiful faces to the people who left the deepest scars.

Late at night, when the world was quiet and still, I found myself drifting back to those moments I had shared with Camden. The way his eyes lit up when he smiled, the feel of his hand in mine, the sound of his laughter echoing in the summer air. To be young and in love again, before reality had shattered those dreams, felt like a cruel fantasy.

I downed another drink, the burn of the alcohol a temporary balm to the ache in my chest. "Another, please," I said to the bartender, my voice tinged with a desperation I couldn't hide. The bartender nodded, sliding a fresh drink across the counter. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself. Blake was next to me, completely engrossed in his phone, scrolling through whatever was holding his attention. I rolled my eyes, a mixture of annoyance and resignation washing over me.

The bar was dimly lit, filled with the low hum of conversations and clinking glasses. It was a typical Friday night, people seeking solace at the bottom of their glasses, just like me.

I took a sip of my new drink, the cold liquid a stark contrast to the heat rising in my chest. My mind wandered back to Camden, to the nights we spent talking about our dreams and plans for the future. Back then, everything seemed so possible, so within reach. We were invincible, or at least we thought we were.