Chapter 1

I just couldn't shake this feeling off. The feeling of being watched. Being stalked. Is this what paranoia feels like? Everywhere I go, I just feel unsafe. I know I'm not crazy. Taking in a deep breath, I buried my hands into my warm pockets of my jacket. It was a cold, snowy morning, and yet I still had to go to work. Not only did I miss the bus, I also got a blizzard of snow coming up ahead of me. Just peachy. The road was far too dangerous to go with my car, I decided to not take the risk. But then again, this would risk me being late if I didn't speed up my pace. The streets were dark and dull, which is not too surprising on an early morning. Sure, it's refreshing to go outside to get some air, but not so early in the morning. The streets could be dangerous. The heavy snow wasn't a good thing either, who knows what could lay up ahead? My legs were already aching from so much walking. I could almost be glad that I would be able to rest my legs at work.

Once I arrived at the building of my work, I pushed the doors open with a breath of relief. The moment I stepped in I immediately felt the warmth from this place engulf me. It's very soothing after a long, struggling walk from home. My job wasn't anything special, really. All I can say is that I'm paid well enough to live in a decent apartment and get my daily things to keep myself healthy. I first greeted the receptionist, who usually gives me a smile as a reply. I went up ahead to the elevator, to move myself to the usual floor I always go to. Before I could actually enter the elevator itself, I heard a high pitched voice shout my name behind me, "(Y/n)! (Y/n), hold on!". I turn around on my heels, watching as one of my co-workers- well, friend- races over to me. I put on a smile. I'd always appreciate it when Emma would race up to me in excitement just from seeing me. It made me feel like I was worth something. "Hey, Em." I greet her with a grin, equally excited as her as she wraps her arms around me and gives me a bone crushing hug. She can almost lift me off the ground. "Did you really come all the way walking?" She asks as she pulls back, the tone in her voice made it sound like she couldn't believe it. "Pretty much." I let out a short laugh as I enter the elevator, Emma follows. I press the button to the second floor, where Emma and I have to go to.

"What a woman!" Emma jokes, making me snicker. She never fails to brighten up my day. "Oh! Also, did you hear anything from Tyler?" Emma suddenly asks out of the blue as the elevator doors close. I purse my lips and shake my head. The last time I saw him was Friday, pretty much. Why would she ask that? I don't know Tyler that well, he's still pretty much a newbie at our work. He's been working here for a week now, I guess. "I haven't. Why?" I ask as I take a quick look at myself in the mirror of the elevator. "Nobody's heard anything from him since Friday. They said he might be missing," Emma explains with a more worried tone of voice. Another disappearance? That isn't anything new, but it's still horrible. It's been said that this building is cursed, or haunted or something. Mainly because new people tend to disappear. And it's not just new people in particular. It felt like every time I was starting to build a friendship with someone, they'd disappear one or two weeks later. Some people even quit their job because of this particular thing, which is why we needed more workers. Though, many people didn't want to take the job because they are too afraid. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not, the fact that once I start to talk to them, they either leave or go missing. This is probably just my paranoia talking.

"Oh, that's terrible." I frown as the elevator reaches the first floor. "It is. His family reached out to us this morning in case we saw him around." Emma said. "Mm." I responded. I didn't really know what else to say. It's not the first time this has happened. We can't really do anything about it. A 'ding!' from the elevator makes me snap out of my thoughts, realizing we've already reached the second floor. The elevator doors open and Emma and I step out. "Okay, so, away from the sad stuff, I got something exciting." Emma cracks a grin as she turns her head to look up at me excitedly. Oh, boy. I brace myself for whatever's coming. "What is it?" I ask. Please don't be a party, please don't be a party, please don't be- "There's this big party at Logan's house this weekend and we should totally go!" Emma squeals happily. Ah, Logan. Of course it had to be Logan. That one egoistic asshole that only cares about himself and no one else. The one Emma had a crush on for the longest time. I don't like parties. Especially the ones that are full of young adults, such as myself, that only drink, smoke or do dumb shit at a party. I don't like having myself in such a crowd. "Emma, you know I don't like parties. Especially Logan's parties." I frown. Emma's grin falters into disappointment. "Please! Please, please! I would reaaally appreciate it if you'd come with me! I need your help with Logan!" Emma begged, wrapping her hands around my right arm whilst giving me her best puppy dog eyes.