The Phatom of the Future II

The end of Squad Tenebris

Five years ago

Part II

— Foulcas doesn't answer! — I heard Aster crying, she's going crazy, she's going crazy.

Just what was needed at this point in the mission, what the fuck!

— Nick! Come in! Do you copy? — Jun shouted into his communicator.

We had to dodge fire, shoot, change the cartridge, use knives, there was too much information and not enough of it, a squad of thirty-eight people was simply disbanded, the other cells don't even know what happened. The rain was falling softly, the water running down the ends of my hair, seeing the symbol of those who were attacking us made me even angrier.

— Sofyz gives no sign. — I commented when I realized that others simply weren't getting back to me. — Jennie, you tramp — I shouted through the communicator — didn't you say we were going to get out of this hellhole alive?! You lied! Jennieee! — I shouted in rage.

— Get down! — I didn't have time to react, Sett jumped on top of me and we both rolled down the stairs in the most painful way possible, due to the edges of the staircase.

The shot was strong enough to shatter the place where I was standing and I could see other companions falling, it started to give me despair but I couldn't show it, I took a deep breath and ran my hands through my hair, feeling the sweat and blood, but I didn't have much time to think. We both continued to descend, sending out signals and avoiding any combat, my back hurt and Sett was shaking although he didn't show it either and still made fun of the situation, he's a real wretch, but I felt more comfortable being with him.

— They'll be alive, I know they will. — I stayed positive.

— I want to believe that. — He answered firmly.

As soon as we reached the first floor, we could see the immensity of the damage and what it had become, that's what they wanted, a war, chaos to remove that man from power, a coup.

When we got to the first floor, I was sickened by the sight of so many bodies piled up and innocent people who didn't even know what was going to happen.

— I don't believe it... — Adrian hissed, crawling over the bodies and carefully dragging one away.

Many of the bodies are mutilated, burst and crushed, it's a stomach-churning scene and I just want to get out of here. It was dead Foulcas, Aster's younger brother, next to him his girlfriend Layla who is part of the squad.

— Hira-1401! — I heard the signal coming from Iza on my communicator.

— Say Iza-3403. — Sett looked at me sorrowfully.

— I have terrible news. Our captain and lieutenant have died and I haven't been able to make any backups — I hear the regret in his voice and Sett stares in astonishment — nothing from them. Sofyz isn't answering, Aster doesn't know, Layla died without any backup either — I squeezed my eyes shut and took a deep breath —, my wife... — I said tearfully — She wasn't supposed to die! Find the other women in our squad, Sett will take over from now on.

— Okay. — I said dryly.

— Sett-1201! — Yeltsin's voice came over his communicator. — Start your backup now and anyone you see, warn them to back up, we're not getting out of here alive. Jennie betrayed us. It was a pleasure working with you, gentlemen, ladies and singles. — I took a deep breath, it would have been funny if it hadn't been for the situation, feeling a sudden twinge in my head, placing my finger on my left temple, anxious.