The game is on

Both the Gaunts & the Morgensterns stared in silence.

- Do you know this girl, son?
- Y-yes father. We're in the same house.
- Of course, Henry mentioned a certain letter she wrote the last time. But you didn't mention the young Miss before.

- Mister Gaunt. - Aida spoke up. - The truth is I am barely around. After classes, Professor Fig helps me to catch up with studies. I rarely have a chance to interact with anyone, only during classes. For now at least... You see, Sir, I'm kind of a late bloomer, my abilities didn't come when I was eleven. I didn't understand why. Then this summer it was all sudden. It's a complicated story, to be honest. And since I started late, there's a lot which keeps me busy preparing for my O.W.L.-s without problems.

Before Henry could scold her for speaking up without permission, Ominis's father hushed, to let her speak.

- I understand now, and thank you for your explanation. I guess you might be a bit disappointed that you only have two more years in Hogwarts.
- I do, Sir. And I was pretty distressed in the past years, waiting for my letter.
- And may I ask, did you have to attend muggle school, until your abilities came to the surface?
- Well... - Aida continued casually. Maybe she feared the Gaunts a little, but she must not show them how frightened she was. - Just because my letter didn't come in time, I was enlightened well. But at the same time, governesses taught me the basics on how to be a proper lady if i'd remain a Squib.
- It would be such a shame missing a beauty from our society. - Marvolo smirked, keeping his eyes on her like a predator. - Beautiful... and powerful, aren't you? Little birds chirped, you took a troll down in Hogsmeade. All alone.

If he keeps watching me like he's about to devour me right here, I swear to God I'll do something I may not regret, she thought. Instead she kept her head low, and took his comment as a compliment. Stay low-key, she said to herself. You can do it. Just a few days & you can go back.

- Not at all Marvolo. I wasn't alone. A classmate of mine was with me. Originally for helping me to gather my missing supplies. We fought against the troll with teamwork.
- No need to be so humble. You were the talk of the village. Some saw you wielding such a rare power. Can we see it?

Aida felt pretty uncomfortable by the pressure. From the corner of her eyes she saw her father nodding to show the ancient magic.

Like she would have a choice.

She pulled her wand out & concentrated to summon just a wisp, swirling around the wand & her hand. Everyone around her looked in awe. But she felt like a circus monkey being ordered to perform.

***

- To hell with all of you... - she fumed under her nose, while she changed behind the screen. It's almost dinner time & both fathers were ready to announce something big. She wasn't surprised about the early act, she got used to this in a way being paraded around.

She observed the dress she's supposed to wear for the dinner. White & golden, just like the colours of her house. She was radiant like - as Marvolo said - the shiniest star in the night sky.

Thinking of him just made her quiver. At least Ominis was there too, lifting up the tension with his presence, even though they weren't so close, unlike with Sebastian. She wondered if he's okay in Hogwarts. She took a parchment & wrote a short note.

I think I'm going crazy. I wish I stayed with you.

She put the letter in the drawer, since Hürrem hadn't arrived back yet. A soft knock was heard at the door.

- Mahpeyker, are you ready? Everyone's waiting for you.
- I... - she sighed. - I'm not sure... Do I have to be there? I don't feel well.
- You have to go through whatever your father plans. What's the matter?