2

The next morning, the very first thing I did when I woke up was check the engagement on the ad. For an ad, the engagement was decent enough. It wasn't over-the-top amazing but it was on par with what I'd expected.

I opened TikTok and Addison's video was doing great. She had already garnered over 10 million views using the video I'd approved right before logging out last night.

It was even edgier than the original ad since she'd chosen to zoom right up to her mouth and place the head of it down to start the video. It was very suggestive and eye-catching.

I opened my work email to email the client to see if they were happy with the results so far and was anxiously excited to see that they'd already messaged.

I opened it:

Subject: THANK YOU!

Vivienne,

You are a genius. Since the post and Addison's promotion, we've gotten 300k new purchases. We couldn't the happier with the engagement thus far and will be sending over a contract confirming our interest in working with you on a permanent basis.

Talk Soon,
The Team at Vibrate

PS Keep an eye out for a special surprise!

——

I smiled to myself. It was my very first solo campaign and it was already doing so well. I shared Addison's video and hopped out of bed to make breakfast and shower quickly before work.

My phone dinged while I was brushing my teeth and I picked up the text message.

BOSS: See me in my office first thing.

My heart raced nervously. In my excitement about my success, I'd forgotten that I'd gone against the company.

I tossed my phone down and hurried to get ready quickly. The last thing I needed was to be late and called out for that, too.

Since I was already clearly in trouble, I put on my plainest outfit, which consisted of a navy suit with a simple white top, and rushed out the door.

I lived a walkable distance away from work but of course, it was pouring rain today. my hair was dripping onto the tile floor of our lobby when I arrived.

"Hold the elevator!" I called. I was just 4 minutes away from being late.

The doors closed at first, but the person inside must've taken pity on me because they opened again.

"Thank you," I said and looked up to see Mr. Choi.

His face was stern, almost rude, when I joined him. Without thinking, I reached to press the button for our floor, which was already lit up.

I pulled my hand away and faced forward. I could faintly see his reflection in the stainless steel. He was facing forward as well and his mouth was in a thin, judgmental line. My heart pounded in my chest. What if he fired me right here?

When the doors opened, he breezed past me without saying a word. I sucked in a deep breath, having felt suffocated being confined with him.

I planned to go to my desk and put my bag down but to do so, I had to pass his office. I tried to walk quickly but he snapped his fingers at me to get my attention.

"Where do you think you're going? Come here," he called.

He had on glasses now and was somehow already logged in and ready to go. I walked in and closed the door, preparing to be fired on the spot.

"Mr. Choi..." I began, ready to apologize.

"You really shouldn't wear white when it's raining," he eyed me judgmentally.

I glanced down and used my jacket to try to cover more of myself. "Mr. Choi..."

"Sit," he cut me off.

I hesitantly took the seat across from him, and he narrowed his eyes at me through his glasses.

"I seem to recall we had a discussion late yesterday afternoon," he began sarcastically. "Hmm? What was that about? Do you remember?"

I looked down at my hands that were folded in my lap. My knee was bouncing nervously. "The campaign," I mumbled.

"What was that?" he leaned back casually. It was very clear who had the power here.

"Killing the campaign," I spoke up. "You asked me to kill the campaign."

"Oh, so you did hear me? Interesting. Because I logged in this morning to see ad after ad and a pretty raunchy video showing the campaign I shot down," he snapped.

"I just.,."

"I'm assuming your client didn't go rogue or steal your ideas, am I correct in that assumption?" he interrupted.

"Yes, but..."

"And you already authorized payments for street teams to two upcoming tours?" he cut me off again.

"Yes, but..."

I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't allow him to berate me without letting me speak.

"And you..." he started.

"Mr, Choi," I interrupted this time.

He cocked an eyebrow in surprise.

"The client received over 300k purchases already from the TikTok collaboration I organized with Addison. The engagement on Instagram is on par with the rest of our clientele which is pretty impressive considering this market is much more niche than that of a sneaker. And they emailed me this morning that they are sending over contract terms to declare their plan to use us exclusively as their marketing firm."

"If you were good at your job, you'd have done just as well on an approved campaign," he but in.

"And if you were good at yours, you wouldn't shoot down good ideas and strong brand partnerships because of an argument with your wife."

San clenched his jaw tightly and sat up straight. I knew I had crossed a line, but so had he. Making business decisions off of personal frustrations didn't seem very professional to me.

"You're fired."

"Excuse me?"

There was a knock on his office door. San motioned for her to come in before answering me.

The receptionist, a shy girl who couldn't be more than 22, walked in with a black box that looked much too heavy for her.

"What is it?" San asked.

"This was just dropped off for Vivienne," she explained as she struggled to hold it.

I stood to collect it with a nod of appreciation that sent her on her way back to her desk.

I set it in my lap and opened the lid before Mr. Choi could say much more. Inside were the three variations of their vibrators with a note.

Vivienne,
Thanks for all the 'good vibes' so far

I smiled. Underneath the box, I felt a folder, and I pulled it out. I glanced at the terms I'd negotiated and placed the contract on San's desk.

"They're requesting to work with me specifically."

San scoffed. "We can afford to lose one client."

"Maybe," I shrugged. "But I charged them a higher fee than you've ever been able to get anyone to pay you before."

San snatched the papers and looked them over in surprise.

"So, I'm not fired. And I think I'd like a raise. I'll be at my desk. Let me know what you can offer or I'll walk and take the client with me."

"You signed a non-compete. You can't take our clients."

"They're not your clients yet. That was just our trial with them," I smirked and headed to my desk.

At least, if he did fire me, I'd have a client to take with me now.