Chapter 2

Midnights' perspective; 

I was laying on 1989's bed, enjoying the sweet normalness that the house had returned to- well, our slightly twisted version of normal. I had missed her so much when she was in bicycle's basement, which was unusual for me to get so attached to people. There really wasn't anyone else that I was dying to see again, and our reunion had been messy but useful in us getting back together.

"I'm so in love with you," I sighed, staring at the ceiling with a shy smile on my face.

"Aw, where'd that come from?" 1989 seemed flattered by the statement, blushing a little.

"Not sure," I murmured. "But I'm just really happy that I met you,"

"Babe that's so sweet," She laughed. "Me too," 

"Do you want to go down for lunch soon? I'm getting hungry," I offered. 

"You can, I'll eat later though," She said offhandedly. 

"I'm not buying it Nine, what do you want- sandwich or leftovers from dinner?" I asked.

"I'm genuinely not hungry, I swear babe," She smiled convincingly at me. I had fallen for the 'I'll eat later' trick too many times, I wasn't caving again.

"That wasn't an answer Nine, which one do you want?" I pressed. 

"I said neither Mid," She started to sound annoyed. 

"Nine," I said sternly. "You can't keep doing this to yourself, you-" 

"LEAVE IT MIDNIGHTS," She burst out, yelling. "Just leave it," She whispered, tears pricking at her eyes. She looked at me, and I think she was scared that I would stay, but even more scared I would leave. Even if I wanted to leave I couldn't have, it would've been cruel.

"I can't leave it Nine," I said gently, sitting back down and wrapping my arms around her. I breathed in sharply at how small she felt in my arms, both physically and in the way she seemed to shrink away at my words. 

"It's just so hard," She whimpered. "I don't want to have to battle constantly with my mind, I'm just- I'm just so tired," 

"I know honey," I said. "And I know you're trying so, so hard, but I can't sit back and let you hurt your body," 

"I'm not-" 

"Yes you are Nine, you are hurting yourself by doing this, and if you don't let me help you, then you are going to cause permanent damage to yourself, and I don't want that for you," I said. I refused to sugarcoat it anymore. "So no, I won't leave it. I can't" 

"Okay," She whispered. 

"You want to try some lunch? I promise I'll try and make it the least overwhelming I can," 

"I'll try," She said. I nodded and stood up, one arm still around her as we walked downstairs. Luckily, it was after the time that everyone else normally had lunch so we were pretty much alone, and Folklore scampered away when I shot her a look, earning a knowing smile from her in return. 

I sat her down at the bench, walking into the kitchen and grabbing some bread for a sandwich. 

"Alright baby, I'm going to make a sandwich for you," I said. I could tell she was nervous, looking close to tears. "What's wrong Nine?" 

"I just feel like such a burden to you," She said, biting her lip. 

"Baby no, not at all, why would you be a burden?" I cocked my head confusedly. 

"You have to do so much for me and you have your own stuff, and I worry about putting too much on you," She explained, voice cracking. "And I know it's irrational but I just feel like I can't even trust myself so I have to trust you instead, and what happens if you get sick of me?" 

"I promise I will never ever ever get sick of you," I said solemnly, placing the plate down in front of her. "Reckon you can get through this sandwich for me? I can leave if it would make you more comfortable," I suggested- If she was worried about eating in front of people, like she had expressed on previous occasions, it might have helped to leave her, but at the same time I didn't entirely trust that she wouldn't throw it out. 

"No don't leave," She said hurriedly, and I sat back down, opposite her on the bench. She swallowed nervously, contemplating the sandwich. She looked like she was focused on something, but it took me a moment to figure out what. 

"No counting babe," I interrupted softly. "You don't need to know the calories," 

"Yes I do," She said anxiously. "Otherwise I won't know how much I'm eating and I m- might eat too much and gain weight," I picked up on her increased breathing and took her hands in my own. 

"I know it's hard sweetie," I said. "And I know that the unknown is scary, but you have to take that first step, you have to start recovering or it'll just get worse. Also... I know you're going to hate me for this, but after you're done with lunch I'm getting rid of the scales," 

"No please," She begged. "Please, I need to be in control," 

"Knowing your weight doesn't help you stay in control Nine, it'll just make you spiral, and you're not going to like it but I need to do it," I said. "I need you to get healthier. So, will you try eat it? For me?" 

She nodded wordlessly, picking up the sandwich. I began to eat my own, hoping that she would follow suite- I gave her a look of encouragement and she took a bite out of the corner. Slowly but surely, she went bite for bite with me, but set it down soon after. 

"I'm done," She said. 

"Sweetie no, you're not done," I shook my head. "You need to eat at least half of the sandwich, bare minimum," 

"Fine," She slumped back in her chair huffily, picking it back up. She dropped her annoyed demeanour soon enough, looking at me desperately. "I'm full Mid I really can't eat any more," 

"Yes you can, it's just because your anxious that you feel like you can't eat it," 

"It makes me want to gag," She pouted. 

"Way to compliment my sandwich- making skills," I chuckled. "But just talk to me honey, it'll make you think about it less," 

"Okay," She smiled quietly. I started a conversation about a news article that I had read (I know, shocking, I can read), continuing to eat my sandwich and internally fist pumping when 1989 started up on her sandwich again. We talked about everything, making our way from the news to British people to our plans for the week. 

After we had finished discussing how many different ways a bed can be positioned in a square room, I noticed that she was finished, grinning proudly. 

"You did it Nine," I embraced her, kissing her on the top of her head. 

"It's just a sandwich," She mumbled, blushing. 

"Not just a sandwich," I corrected. "You're having a hard day today, but you overcame that, and I'm proud of you. And even if you didn't manage to finish it, I would still be proud, because you tried." 

"I love you Mid," She interlaced her fingers with mine, walking upstairs. 

"Love you more," I said. 

"That, my lady, is not possible," She said, opening the door to her room and waving me in fancily. 

"I think you'll find it is," I pulled her down onto my lap, resting my head on her shoulder. 

A/N; I don't have anything to say, so hi 👋🏻