0.0

(labour day weekend, 2009)

If the girls in the barn knew what would happen that night, they may not have attended the sleepover in such high spirits. If they did decide to still attend, they would have then chosen not to drink as much as they had. Each of the girls would have stayed sharp and alert if they had known the truth, they would have done whatever they could to prevent the inevitable. However, ignorance is bliss and each of the teenagers sat – huddled under mounds of blankets and listening to the sound of the rain hammering against the tin roof – oblivious of the event that would soon shake the entire town.

Perhaps, the weather was warning them of the events that would happen later that evening. There was a heaviness in the air that wasn't caused by the storm, but instead by the allure of secrets threatening to be spilled. Perhaps, the universe was trying to prepare the girls for the events that would shape them and their lives for the years to come. But each ignored the rumbling sounds outside and focused on the warmth that their vodka-spiked drinks caused to radiate from within. Under the hum of laughter and mirth, the girls were able to ignore everything outside and continue life in their own bubble. All bar one girl at least.

Adrianna sat the closest to the door, ready to make a quick escape once the girls had fallen into an inevitable drunken slumber. She wouldn't have to manoeuvre around any of the others, so her only battle would be the creaking of the barn door and she had learnt that art over the previous year. So, no matter what happened, she wouldn't be giving up her seat.

As she tapped on her phone, Adrianna found some solace in the sound of the storm raging outside. It was just loud enough to drown out the chaos swirling through her mind and numb the constant feeling of anxiety that came along with it. As she looked around at her friends, she realised how much she envied each of them. They were still wrapped in innocence and naivety she wished she still possessed.

Aria and Emily were already rosy-cheeked from their drinks, giggling over something Adrianna knew nothing about. She took another mouthful of her own – considerably stronger – drink as she tried to push the jealousy to the back of her mind. Within a few hours, she would be able to escape the barn and take solace in the high she had been craving all day. Then she would feel better. Then she would feel less.

Spencer moved towards the barn door, pushing it closed to keep the chill from intruding on their night. Without hesitation, she asked, "Do we know when Ali is getting here?"

"Fashionably late as always," Hanna joked, grimacing as she tried to down more of her drink, "I swear we should just tell her the plans start half an hour before they do."

Adrianna didn't look up from her phone as she muttered, "That would involve her not being at the centre of every plan."

The room went silent again. Adrianna had a tendency to say what they were all thinking but were too scared to vocalise. They all waited in anticipation of Alison's arrival and were silently rejoicing in their time together without her. No one would admit it aloud, but it was often easier without her in attendance. The girls didn't feel the need to pretend so much when she wasn't there, and there was a freedom to being able to be imperfect without ridicule.