Kate Nash

(Most info taken from Wikipedia, various websites and direct quotes of Kate Nash interviews.)

Ok SO. A lot of you may know Kate Nash from her song Foundations. 

The one that goes 'you said you must eat so many lemons, cuz I am so bitter' etc. 

If that still doesn't jog your memory: Kate Nash is a British singer-songwriter, who shot to fame with her song Foundations, released in 2007 on her debut album Made Of Bricks. She won a Brit award in 2008 for Best British Female Artist. In 2010 she released her second album My Best Friend Is You which reached top 10 in Germany and UK. In 2013, Girl Talk (one of the best albums ever might I add) was self released, following a departure from her record label. And finally, in 2018, Yesterday Was Forever was released following a kick starter campaign, funded by her fans. Her latest album is coming out on June 21st of this year. And I can't fucking WAIT. 

Like oh my God I can't wait to hear it live. 

Oh yeah, I'm seeing her live again in November after seeing her on Friday (17th May 2024). She was incredible. Her energy, the setlist, just everything about it. I love Kate Nash. 

Anyways. Late November 2023 was when I started listening to her properly. And golly Jesus I have fallen in LOVE. Her songs, her voice, everything. Incredible. I think my favourite album is definitely Girl Talk, I don't know why it just scratches my brain in the right way. My favourite song is DEFINITELY Sister. Like it's so screamable. Just. Perfection. 

Oh my golly gosh she has been releasing so much new stuff recently. 

Change, the first song this year, was released in February, following an announcement of being signed to a new record label. According to her the song is about 'relationships and how they are ever evolving'. I cannot put into words how amazing this song really is. From what I know, the song isn't going to be on the album. 

 I remember the night it came out I made a bracelet with the name on it and posted it to my bracelet account on Instagram (bead.and.string_ drop me a follow guys x) and she liked it and posted it to her story. I'll tell you now my entire year was MADE. It really made me so happy, especially after a hard few days following the break up I mentioned in my last ramble. It gave me a reason to smile.

Her next one, Millions Of Heartbeats, was released on March 14th, following the announcement of her album. The song is about 'loosing your spark'. I think this has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. 

I think at the end of this ramble I'll do a list of what I think are the most beautiful songs Kate Nash has ever written. 

The third song released this year is called Space Odyssey 2001.  This song is about the 'recollection of memories from her first date with her now partner.' The song is definitely going to be on her new album, and the one song I was most excited to hear. 

The demo of this song was included on an exclusive vinyl for Record Store Day '24 (which I have), along with an unreleased song named Back At School.

I can't lie, I kind of wish it was on Spotify. 

Finally, the most recent release having been released literally last week (as of writing this) is My Bile. And my goodness it is brilliant. It's about 'being at your wits end and having nothing left to give to society expectation of you.' I love Kate Nash for this. She truly is an amazing artist.

I'm not going to lie she is probably one of the most underrated artists of the 21st century. She truly is a lyrical genius. 

Oh my God. How did I forget?

Kate Nash is also an INCREDIBLE actress!! 

She was in the Netflix show titled GLOW which stands for the Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling. It ran for three seasons and was meant to have a fourth, the first episode was actually filmed but then Covid hit and it never got picked up by Netflix. 

But I personally think the ending to the final season is perfect as it is. Like it could just be a stand alone ending if that makes sense. 

She was also in Horrible Histories The Movie- Rotten Romans where she played Boudicca. I really enjoyed the movie to be honest. I thought it was quite funny. 

They are just some famous examples of what she was in, she's also been in short films such as Wild Bitch, Bad Rabbit and the tv show Coffee Wars. She really is incredible. 

Kate has ALSO been a super vocal feminist and has spoken out on issues such as homophobia. Her song I've Got A Secret is described as an anti-homophobic rant. Her song Agenda criticises sexism and is very politically oriented. Back in 2013, she wrote Free My Pussy, a song dedicated to the band Pussy Riot who got arrested in 2012. And those are just a few examples of her activism. 

She's also been very open about her struggles with mental health. Her song Life In Pink (one of my favourite ones and one that is super special to me) details her struggles with anxiety and OCD which she has suffered with as a child. She said in an interview that the rabbits in the video symbolise how her pet rabbit helped her through a hard time in her life. 

Ok. Here is my list of the most beautiful songs she's done (and in no particular order with no context because I simply can't put it into words)

- Nicest Thing

- Little Red

- Horsie

- Birds

- Millions Of Heartbeats

- Space Odyssey 2001

- To The Music I Belong

And finally,

- Change.

So yeah, if you haven't already guessed, I love Kate Nash <3 

If you're reading this and went to the show on Friday, please comment your favourite song from the setlist! 

Signing off- J x