|9| bearing the heat of misery

The school was buzzing with nervous energy as students prepared for their exams. The math exam was up first, and Jungkook was stationed in the hallway, watching as students filed into the classroom. He caught sight of Taehyung further down the hall, greeting his history students with an encouraging smile.

By mid-morning, the halls were silent, save for the faint rustle of papers and the occasional cough. Jungkook and Taehyung each took a deep breath and headed to their respective hiding spots on the other side of the hallway, eager to hear what the students thought of their exams.

They positioned themselves near a small alcove, out of sight but within earshot of the students who were starting to trickle out of the exam rooms.

"Oh my God, that math exam was brutal," one student groaned, rubbing their temples. "Did Mr. Jeon think we were math prodigies or something?"

Another student nodded in agreement. "I swear, half my brain cells died trying to solve those problems."

Jungkook winced, giving Taehyung a sideways glance. Taehyung suppressed a laugh and whispered, "Tough luck, Mr. Jeon. Sounds like you really gave them a challenge."

"Just wait," Jungkook replied with a smirk. "Let's see what they say about your history exam."

Soon enough, the history students began to emerge, looking equally frazzled.

"That history exam was no joke," a student said, shaking their head. "I thought I knew everything about ancient Rome, but Mr. Kim really threw us some curveballs."

"Yeah, my hand was cramping from all the writing," another student added. "It felt like we were writing an entire history book in one sitting."

Taehyung winced this time, glancing at Jungkook. "Okay, maybe I went a bit overboard," he admitted quietly.

Jungkook chuckled. "See? You're not off the hook either, Mr. Kim."

They continued to listen, hearing more complaints about how tough both exams had been. The students' sarcastic comments only added to their amusement.

"Math and history should be banned," one student said dramatically. "They're just ways to torture us." The sudden announcement made both of them flinch.

"Agreed," another chimed in. "Who needs to know about ancient civilizations or solve quadratic equations anyway?"

Taehyung and Jungkook exchanged amused looks, their earlier tension dissolving into shared laughter.

"Well, Mr. Jeon, it seems we're both guilty of making their lives miserable," Taehyung said, grinning.

"Looks like it," Jungkook replied. "But hey, it means we did our jobs well, right?"

"Absolutely," Taehyung agreed. "After all, if it were easy, they wouldn't learn as much."

As they continued to bicker about whose subject was more challenging, they found themselves squished together in the dark alcove. Just then, a group of students walked by, not noticing the two teachers hidden in the shadows.

"I'll tell you one thing," one student said. "Their classes are only bearable because Mr. Kim and Mr. Jeon are so hot."

Another student laughed. "Seriously! It makes suffering through history and math almost worth it."

Taehyung and Jungkook froze, eyes widening in surprise.

"Mr. Jeon's eyes are so dreamy," a girl whispered. "I couldn't focus on the equations."

"Right?" her friend replied. "And Mr. Kim's smile? I forget everything about ancient history whenever he looks my way."

Taehyung and Jungkook froze, eyes widening in surprise. They exchanged awkward glances, trying to suppress their amusement and embarrassment.

"Well, Mr. Kim," Jungkook said, breaking the silence. "It seems we have another redeeming quality."

Taehyung chuckled, shaking his head. "I guess so. Not exactly what I expected to hear today."

As the students moved on, their voices fading into the distance, Taehyung and Jungkook stepped out of their hiding spot, still chuckling.

"Who knew our looks were such a big factor in their education?" Jungkook said with a grin.

"Certainly not me," Taehyung replied, his cheeks still slightly flushed. "But hey, if it keeps them engaged, I won't complain."

They stood there for a moment, the hallway now empty and quiet. The stress of exam preparation and their mutual insecurities seemed to fade away, replaced by a shared sense of closeness.

"Mr. Kim," Jungkook began, "I have to admit, working with you has been... interesting."

"Likewise, Mr. Jeon," Taehyung replied with a smile.

They met in the teachers' lounge, both nursing cups of coffee. Taehyung looked up from his drink, catching Jungkook's eye. "So, what are your plans for the break, Mr. Jeon?"

Jungkook leaned back in his chair, a hint of excitement in his eyes. "I've been thinking about taking a trip to the mountains. A little hiking, some fresh air, you know? Just to unwind."

Taehyung smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. "That sounds wonderful. I wish I could join you."

Jungkook's brow furrowed. "Why can't you? What are your plans?"

Taehyung sighed, setting his coffee cup down. "Actually, I'm going to Greece. I've been invited to write a paper on some recent archaeological findings in Athens and their influence on modern society. It's a great opportunity, but it means I'll be away for most of the vacation."

Jungkook's face fell, though he tried to mask his disappointment with a smile. "Wow, that's... that's incredible, Taehyung. Congratulations. You'll be amazing."

"Thanks," Taehyung replied, feeling a pang of regret. "I just wish I could do something more relaxing. It feels like work, even though it's an honor."

Jungkook nodded, hiding his sadness. "You'll be great, and it's important work. Maybe next time, we can plan a trip together."

"Yeah," Taehyung said softly, their eyes locking. "Maybe next time."

The room grew quiet, the weight of unspoken words hanging between them. Jungkook forced a smile, trying to keep the mood light. "Just promise me you'll come back with some incredible stories. Maybe even some artifacts."

Taehyung chuckled. "I'll see what I can do. And you, enjoy the mountains. Take lots of pictures."

"I will," Jungkook said, his voice tinged with sadness. "And you, make sure to take care of yourself over there."

They exchanged a series of glances, each one holding more emotion than words could convey. The bell rang, signaling the end of their break and the beginning of their final tasks before the holiday.

"Guess we should get back to grading those papers," Taehyung said, standing up.

"Yeah," Jungkook agreed, rising from his chair. "Let's finish strong. Mr.Kim"

Taehyung turned around to face him with an amused expression."Really? Mr.Kim?And here I thought we extended the relationship of being beyond the usage of terms like that".

Jungkook chuckled with hands in the air." Alright, terribly sorry for that your highness,....Taehyung"

As they walked out of the lounge, their shoulders brushed, a small but comforting connection. At the door, they paused, each knowing this might be the last time they saw each other for a while.

"Take care, Taehyung. Enjoy your holidays," Jungkook said softly.

"You too, Jungkook," Taehyung replied, his voice just as gentle.

They parted ways, each heading to their respective classrooms. Despite the anticipation of the break, a sense of longing lingered between them, a promise of future adventures and shared moments left unfulfilled for now. 

As Taehyung walked down the hall, he couldn't help but glance back, catching one last look at Jungkook before they both disappeared into the bustle of the school day, feeling a part of him incomplete.

A/N
Next chapter is where the fun starts lol