Chapter 31: High-Wire ACT

A week later, on Monday morning, in the weight room, Pablo meets with his football teammates. They start discussing ACT scores since they were released early in the morning.

"Woohoo! A twenty-one!" Finn exclaims when his teammates start arriving.

"If I may, I say this is the time to get an appointment with counseling!" Virginie tells Finn, knowing other juniors in the weight room would overhear her. Including Valter, and a few juniors on other sports teams.

"I wonder how long we will need to wait..." Valter sighs, while doing squats.

"That I have no idea, but it will depend on how many people will book appointments" Virginie tells her boyfriend.

I guess it's first come, first serve, Pablo seems to realize that some of his teammates have their work cut out for them, and some of them struggle to see a future after graduation. That, even though they scrambled left and right to get help to study for the ACT. Sometimes you just can't have it all... I wonder if my teammates' assistance has benefited Heath, Richard or Orson. I'm curious to see what Ethan, Dayton scored, with Natalie helping them out.

The opportunity will come in the locker room, shortly before the bell rings. On his girlfriend's advice, Valter sends an email requesting an appointment with counseling. They never seem to discuss subscores.

"What did you guys get on the ACT?" Valter asks his footballer friends. "Twenty-seven for me"

"Twenty-nine" Ethan answers.

"Yeah, right, when you date a... HSNCT qualifier, you can study however you want!" Finn points out sarcastically.

"And I had help from those you call HSNCT qualifiers!" Orson adds to this cacophony. "Even after learning, as they asked me, some pre-calculus, I still got a twenty-five!"

"Same here: I, too, studied with the same HSNCT qualifiers as Orson, I got a twenty-four" Heath adds his score.

"Although the coach made me get help that I wouldn't have asked for otherwise, and Carrie, too, I got a twenty-one" Finn breaks the news to his teammates, before texting Carrie about it.

"I guess, I am happy for you..." Pablo sighs while he hears about Richard and Dayton. He then turns to Heath and Orson. "How does it feel to ask for help from underclassmen on the quiz bowl team?"

"Asking for help from the quiz bowl team is just like asking help from any other tutor. I didn't feel much of a difference between having Natalie or Audrey tutor us" Orson answers.

"Yeah, there are times where I had Natalie as a semi-private tutor with Finn, Orson and Heath!" Dayton adds.

"Both pushed us to learn new material!" Heath laments.

"I would love to see the face of the career development teacher..." Richard comments on his own ACT score. "If you thought Audrey and Natalie were mostly the same as ACT tutors, you must have realized just how academically top-heavy the quiz bowl team really is! I even let Nadine tutor me!"

It appears that, everywhere juniors are, they talked only about their ACT scores. And certainly during the career development course. The athletes in Heather's section are seated in the back.

"Although, at the beginning of the year, you were taught about TOPS, today, we will go into greater detail about college applications, community or four-year. About how to choose an institution to apply to. Now that you have your ACT scores on hand, please check your current GPA, and pay attention to both unweighted and weighted!" Steven, the career development teacher, harangues the students.