Chapter 6: Implicit Costs

Pablo ends up studying a good fraction of the night, as he waits for his teammates to get back to him for transportation information. And not only that, but he makes a grim realization as he studies for the test. I think it's best for me to keep quiet about quiz bowl at school until this tournament ends, or else I'd be paying an implicit cost I'm not ready to bear yet. I won't be able to hide quiz bowl any longer once I attend the LQBA Fall Invitational South!

Speaking of social studies, the teacher announces the following at the beginning of the World History course:

"Next class, we will have a quiz on the Age of Discovery and the Renaissance" the World History instructor announces to the class. "This unit ends roughly with the founding of Jamestown as far as this course is concerned, so we're going to cover the late stages of the Age of Discovery today"

In class, they cover the Dutch, English and French wanting in on the New World, since they feel left out of the loop by Portugal and Spain. And they also started playing the colonization game later, too. Also, religious matters were part of the rivalries between these five countries, and several religious wars were fought during the Renaissance.

"On the topic of religious wars in Europe, wasn't the Mayflower's voyage a consequence of these?" a student asks, hand raised.

"You're about a week in advance"

Hehe: now I have an opportunity to take in as much material as possible in this area of history! Pablo furiously takes notes on the topics of the major events of the late stages of the Renaissance, as well as the motivations to go from exploring and staking claims on new lands, and then colonizing them.

"Knowing what happened in Europe and in the Americas during this period is one thing, but what happened elsewhere in the world during that timeframe? Especially since the Portuguese and the Spanish encountered peoples elsewhere" Pablo asks about another facet of the Age of Discovery he feels could come up in quiz bowl.

On that topic, he briefly mentioned that China and Korea were locked into war against the Japanese during that time (Imjin War) and the Age of Discovery planted the seeds of European domination over other parts of the world, but no more than that.

"Let's backtrack a bit. Last week you talked about the Reformation and the Counter-Reformation; what made wars of religion so virulent?" yet another student asks in class.

"We have a lot of ground to cover, but the short answer is that, in the Christian world, the Church provided public services back then that would today fall under government services, such as education, healthcare and public assistance"

"Is this going to be on the test?" one of those annoying students asks the teacher.

"Yes, as would any other question asked by the students in class whose answer is relevant to understanding the material"

That student might not be the most motivated in the world, but a lot of students keep quiet, with the questions being dominated by two camps: those who are struggling and those who are not satisfied with what's said in the lecture.

Once the lecture ends, and the bell rings, Pablo doesn't hesitate to text his B-team quiz bowl teammates, all of them asking to have lunch together. And Audrey, too, because he knows she has the same World History instructor, but is on the A-team.

They all wait in line, lunch money at the ready, to get their lunches and then eat around the same table. It's around the lunch table that Audrey reveals that she has brought some of her own Halloween candy leftovers for the B-team to eat.

"Audrey, you shouldn't have!" Pablo tells her upon receipt of the candy.

"Two nights ago, you gave me, and your parents, some painkillers..." Audrey tells Pablo, but is interrupted by Pablo.