Prologue:

Azalea pushed open the door to the small coffee shop, the familiar chime of the bell echoing around the room softly. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and pastries baking hit her immediately. She smiled, a genuine, welcoming smile that she had become known for. It attracted a wide variety of customers, college students looking for a place to study, business people with their fancy laptops, elderly coming to relax, and most importantly tired souls looking for a moment of relief. Azalea loved it here. It was the place she could lose herself in the quiet chatter of the customers and the hum of the espresso machines. She had a comfortable routine, and what she loved most was that she could help people.

Azalea had a gift. She could listen, really listen, to people's problems. Day after day, customers would find themselves pouring out their hearts to her over a cup of coffee. It wasn't something she actively sought; it just happened naturally. She was like a lighthouse in a storm, drawing in those who needed her light, not that she would ever complain.

Today was just like any other. She went behind the counter, tying her apron and that's when she noticed Mr. Deighton. He was sitting in his usual spot by the window, watching the rain trickle down the window. He has been coming to Coffee Corner every morning since his wife passed away last fall.

"Good morning Mr. Deighton!" Azalea said with a smile, as she walked over with his usual order, black coffee, two sugars, no cream and a pump of caramel.

"Oh, good morning, dear." Mr. Deighton said, sadness evident in his voice. "I was just thinking about Pam..."

Azalea nodded and smiled sadly, handing him his coffee. "She always loved the rain, huh?"

Mr. Deighton smiled sadly, a lone tear slipping down his face. "She did, she'd always say the rain was nature's way of giving everything a fresh start."

Azalea sat down across from him, holding his hand gently. "And maybe that's nature's way of reminding us that we can have fresh starts too, even if it seems impossible sometimes."

Mr. Deighton squeezed her hand gently, finding comfort in those few words.

After a few minutes of quiet, Azalea stood up and brought Mr. Deighton over a fresh out-of-the-oven cinnamon roll. When Pam was still alive it was her favorite, they'd always come together in the mornings, she got a cinnamon roll and a coffee, (with cream, 4 sugars, and a pump of coconut) Mr. Deighton always got his usual coffee and normally would share the cinnamon roll with Pam.

"Maybe this could lighten the mood." Azalea handed him the roll with a smile. "It's all on me today, have a wonderful rest of your morning." She smiled towards him again, resting her hand on his shoulder, before going back behind the counter.

As the saying went on, more and more customers came and left, each having their own stories and struggles. Some like Jane, a college student overwhelmed by her studies and exams, Laurel, a young single mother juggling work and two kids, and Mr. James, who has just lost his job and had no idea how to tell his family. Nonetheless, Azalea listened to each and every one of them, giving advice and a kind smile without ever prying into their lives too much.

As much as she knew everyone, nobody knew much about Azalea herself. She was a total mystery, a friendly face behind the counter who just always knew the right thing to say. She preferred it that way though. Outside of the cafe, her life is her own and quite frankly nobody's business.

As the night went on and the cafe started to quiet down. Azalea took the moment to sit in the back corner and sip her own coffee, watching the last few customers trickle out. The sun had now set, making a soft glow come from the windows, now the outside world seemed a little less scary.

While she cleaned up shop her thoughts wandered to her own life, the one she kept hidden from everyone. She had her struggle and fears, but in this cafe, she found peace in helping others. It would be enough for her, for now at least.

She locked up the shop and stepped out into the cool night air, she pulled her coat tighter around her. She walked down the quiet street, her footsteps echoing softly with each step she took. The night lit up with lights and sounds from the city, but Azalea remained a mystery, a kind soul in the coffee shop who listened to everyone's troubles, while keeping her own hidden away.

Azalea looked back at Coffee Corner, the small cafe that had quickly become her haven. She smiled to herself, knowing she'll be right back tomorrow, to listen, to help, and to be the friendly face everyone needed, even if they never really knew her.

And for now, that's exactly how she wanted it to be.