Prologue

"Hello. Is this Mr. Virat Kohli?" 

"Yes, that's me."

"We're calling from the Horizon Blue Hospital in Cape Town. Your appointment for the surgery is scheduled on the 6th of next month. Is it ok with you?" 

"Yes, you can confirm the date." 

"Right Sir. Please ask for Dr. AB de Villiers on your arrival to the hospital. He'll attend you."

"Ok thank you" 

Virat hung up the call and threw his phone on the bed. He has been a total mess in the past few weeks. His physical and mental health stirred up a turmoil in him. It's been 2 weeks since he got injured. Not a minor one, but a proper fibula break.  

Virat leaned back on his bed, letting his mind wander off. His doctor in India had suggested that he get his surgery done as soon as possible but Virat forced them to simply tape his wound to keep the bone in place. No matter how much his manager, Dhruv tried, Virat wouldn't give in. Rather he would simply say that he deserves it all and that the pain is his punishment. 

However, Dhruv managed to find a well reputed and trustworthy hospital to get his surgery done. He convinced Virat that he would eventually feel relaxed if he steps out of the home and thus Dhruv ended up choosing a hospital in South Africa.

'Why did I do that?' A question that has been lingering in Virat's mind for the past several months. Perhaps he regrets it now. 

Virat stayed there on his bed, eyes closed as he tried to bring together whatever has happened in his life in the last 2 years, the 24 months that changed his life upside down. And to him he's solely responsible for everything, not a single day has passed without him blaming himself.

'8 more days' Virat said to himself. 

----------------------------------------------

It's a beautiful morning in Cape Town as the sun shone bright and the sound of birds chirping gave Virat some much need hope and energy. He and Dhruv had landed in South Africa the previous night, on the 4th of June. Dhruv had gone to a nearby supermarket to get them some snacks to munch on later, while Virat stayed back in his hotel room.

Virat admired the vast blue sea as he sat on the balcony. This is the closest to goodness he has been feeling in a while. As he took in the beautiful scape, he focused on his breathe and himself, his thoughts running back and forth to that one person. His eyes teared up as he felt terrible for himself and the other person. Virat's breathing grew heavy and all the thoughts seemed to push him into a never ending tunnel of darkness where a little light too might not be possible. 

He was brought back to the reality as his phone pinged with notifications. He quickly but hesitantly unlocked his phone. he exactly knows where the texts come from. 

'Hey sweetheart...reached there?'

'I miss you too much you know'

'Had a rough day....just feel like fucking you so good :)'

'I'll see you soon'

Virat's heart sunk, but a smile formed on his lips. He simply typed back an 'OK' and slid the phone back into his  pocket.

'Nothing new.'  He thought. 

The rest of the day passed by with Virat and Dhruv's conversations. Dhruv tried with his entire being to bring back some hope and light into Virat's vision but it just did not seem to reach his mind. 

----------------------------------------------

"Hello. I'm Virat Kohli. I have got an appointment for my surgery scheduled today." Virat said as he stood in the hospital reception with Dhruv holding him for better balance.