The Reunion

Hello friends! This a short story that I decided to write! It'll prob have 2-3 chapters. I hope you guys enjoy it!

----------

The rhythmic sound of dholak echoed through the backyard, blending with the chatter and laughter of women gathered for Shibra's mehendi ceremony. The aroma of fresh henna and rosewater filled the air, creating a festive ambiance. Lanterns cast a warm glow, reflecting off the vibrant colors of suits and ghararas.

Meerab adjusted her green suit, its intricate golden embroidery shimmering under the soft glow of the lights. The fabric draped elegantly around her, accentuating her graceful figure. Her long, wavy brown hair cascaded down her shoulders, framing her face like a halo of silk. Adorned with delicate jhumkas and a sparkling maang tikka that matched her attire, she looked nothing less than an angel, radiating an ethereal beauty that captivated all who beheld her.

She smiled at Shibra, who was sitting next to her, her hands already being adorned with beautiful henna designs.

"Shibra, you look radiant," Meerab said, her voice filled with genuine affection.

Shibra blushed and waved her hennaed hand dismissively. "Thank you, Meerab. But look at you! You've brought a bit of New York glamour with you."

Meerab laughed, her eyes twinkling. "Just trying to keep up with the bride-to-be."

Shibra grinned mischievously. "Speaking of glamour, how's the dating life in the Big Apple? Found anyone special yet, or are you still hung up on Mr. B.O.M.E?"

Meerab's smile faltered for a split second before she coughed and laughed in surprise. "You still remember Mr. B.O.M.E? I can't believe you still remember that nickname."

Shibra laughed. "Yeah, duh, of course we remember. You never stopped talking about him. At one point, I didn't think he was real and thought you were truly losing your mind."

Meerab shook her head, still smiling. "Dating in New York is... interesting. Honestly, Shibra, I've been looking for someone kind, someone with a good heart. A man who is gentle, supportive, and understands the importance of family. My perspective on love has changed a lot over the years."

Shibra raised an eyebrow, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Meerab, you were always the girl we thought would be the first to fall in love and settle down. If we hadn't kept in touch, I would have assumed you'd be married to the love of your life, living your fairytale somewhere in a cozy house with a white picket fence, a garden full of flowers, and a couple of kids running around."

Meerab laughed, shaking her head. "Falling in love is a rare occurrence, Shibra. Like catching a shooting star or finding a pearl in an ocean. My ideology of love has changed. I used to believe in grand gestures and fairy tales, but now I just want someone real. Someone who makes me feel cherished, who understands the little things, and who makes every day a bit better."

The two friends sat in the beautifully adorned backyard of Shibra's ancestral home. The entire area was draped in lights; not a single surface was without a diya or fairy lights. Yellow and gold flowers decorated every available space, their sweet fragrance mingling with the scent of henna.

In the center of the yard stood a beautiful water fountain, its gentle splashing sound adding to the tranquil atmosphere. Little floating candles bobbed on the water's surface, their flames flickering softly in the evening breeze. Nearby, a colorful canopy had been set up, filled with laughter and smiles as older women sang traditional wedding songs. Every now and then, a couple of tears slipped from the eyes of the women, adding a bittersweet note to the joyous occasion.

As the two friends chatted and reminisced about their university days while getting their mehendi done, Meerab suddenly caught a whiff of a familiar, masculine perfume. The scent was intoxicating—woodsy with a hint of spice, a mix of sandalwood and amber with a touch of musk. It was a scent she had associated with strength and allure, one she hadn't forgotten even after all these years. She stilled in the moment, memories rushing back, her heart pounding in her chest.