Solené's Heart

SOLENÉ'S POV
June 15th 2024

This week had been one of the worsts in terms of my personal life. My wife and I had constantly been arguing nonstop about shit that didn't matter at all.

"Wake up" I slightly shook her shoulder and she shifted around under the covers.

I knew we weren't on the best of terms lately, But I didn't want to completely shut her out. It would make things worse anyway.

"What?" She mumbled.

"I'm leaving— for the interview."

Last week, I had gotten a plethora of emails from people seeking out the position of a counselor at my school.

One person stood out in particular though, so today we were meeting at my office to talk about what I was looking for.

I walked over to my mirror, checking my outfit and hair before grabbing my shades and heading out the door.

As I grabbed the handle my wife's words tore me from my thoughts.

"I love you." She mumbled quietly.

"Love you too."

While walking out of my front door, I looked around the neighborhood observing the two huge moving trucks parked across the street.

Every year around this time our neighborhood saw many new faces. Schools in this area were some of the best in the entire state and country.

The sound of a door slamming, caught my attention and I looked over. A woman ran out of the house, handed a key to the furniture company and hopped into her car.

The whole scene was a bit odd, But I shrugged it off the got into my car.

The drive to the school was around 25 minutes, so not too far away. I got in and connected my phone to the speaker, clicked on a playlist and began playing music while I drove.

When I finally pulled into my parking spot my music halted, and my daughter's contact flashed on the screen and I answered.

"What's up?" I answered.

"Nothing, where are you I just woke up and you were gone?" She asked.

I felt a little bad for not waking her, But I thought she'd rather sleep.

"I have to interview a new counselor for the school. I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's fine. When are you going to be back I wanted to use your car later?"

"Oh so that's what this is really about?" I said
while laughing.

"No. I definitely was worried when I didn't see you in bed with mom a few seconds ago."

"Right."

"But um- I should be back around 1:00 maybe 2:00 o'clock"

"Okay, call me when you're own your way home."

"Okay. Bye."