A glimpse of destiny

Isabella Montgomery woke to the soft light filtering through the heavy velvet curtains of her bedroom. The room, adorned with elegant furnishings and an array of delicate floral patterns, reflected her refined taste. She stretched languidly, her gaze drifting to the blooming roses in the garden outside. It was another perfect morning in her gilded cage.

Sarah Bennett, her loyal maid, entered quietly, carrying a tray with tea and toast.

- Good morning, Miss Isabella - said Sarah with a warm smile. - Did you sleep well?

- As well as can be expected, Sarah - replied Isabella, returning the smile. - Another day of preparations, I suppose.

Sarah nodded, helping Isabella into a silk robe. They chatted amiably as Sarah brushed Isabella's long, golden hair, arranging it into a neat bun.

- Your father has planned a breakfast meeting with Mr. Thornton this morning - Sarah mentioned, trying to sound nonchalant.

Isabella's smile faltered slightly at the mention of Edward Thornton. He was charming and wealthy, everything her father wanted for her. But to Isabella, he was little more than a stranger, a necessary pawn in her father's plans.

- I suppose I must endure - Isabella sighed. - Thank you, Sarah. I don't know what I'd do without you.

- You'd manage just fine, Miss - Sarah replied with a grin. - But I'm happy to help.

After dressing in a modest yet elegant morning dress, Isabella made her way to the grand dining room, where her parents awaited her. The room, adorned with dark wood and rich tapestries, was a testament to the Montgomery family's wealth and status.

- Good morning, Father. Good morning, Mother - said Isabella as she took her seat.

- Good morning, Isabella - replied Lord Henry Montgomery, barely looking up from his newspaper. - We have much to discuss today.

- Indeed - added Lady Evelyn Montgomery, her eyes filled with concern. - The voyage is fast approaching, and there is still much to prepare.

Isabella nodded, her mind wandering to the upcoming trip. It was supposed to be a grand adventure, but for her, it felt like another step toward an inevitable, unwanted fate.

The conversation soon turned to Edward Thornton, who arrived promptly, carrying a bouquet of fresh flowers.

- Good morning, Lady Montgomery, Lord Montgomery, Isabella - greeted Edward, bowing slightly as he handed the flowers to Isabella.

- Thank you, Edward - Isabella said politely, accepting the flowers with a forced smile.

They sat together, discussing the voyage and the engagement. Edward was charming, his manners impeccable, but there was a distance in his eyes, a sense of entitlement that made Isabella uneasy.

- The ship is the finest of its kind - Edward boasted. - A marvel of modern engineering. We are truly fortunate to be among the first to experience it.

- Yes, very fortunate - Isabella echoed, her enthusiasm lacking.

As the breakfast continued, Isabella found herself growing more and more restless. She longed for a breath of fresh air, a moment of freedom. When the meal finally ended, she excused herself and decided to take a walk through the city, insisting on going alone despite her mother's objections.

- I'll be fine, Mother. I need some air - Isabella insisted. - I won't go far.

Lady Evelyn sighed but relented.

- Very well, but be careful, Isabella.

Isabella set out, reveling in the hustle and bustle of the city. It was a stark contrast to the quiet, controlled environment of her home. She wandered through the marketplace, fascinated by the vibrant energy and diverse array of people.