꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓥: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓒𝓸𝓷𝓯𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓸𝓷 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓓𝓮𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮 ༻꧂

A bunch of shouts arose. "What?!"

"Azrael?" 

"In love with a man?!" 

Nia's eyes widened as they darted between Kazi, who was transfixed in the corner, and Azrael. A silent question lingered in the air: was it true?

The king, his voice tinged with disbelief, exclaimed, "Azrael, is this true?"

Azrael remained motionless; his gaze focused on Kazi's in a silent discussion that only they could understand. Queen Evangeline approached Kazi, her eyes narrowing in suspicion. But before she could approach Kazi, Ren appeared like a guardian angel, stepping protectively in front of her.

"Your Majesty," Ren began, his voice firm despite the twisting in his gut, "perhaps we should all calm down."

The queen disregarded him, her voice cold. "Sir K," she screamed. "You have a choice. Accept Princess Athiel's affection, or you will no longer be welcome at court.

Nia had heard enough. Stepping forward, she met the queen's eyes squarely. "Enough, Your Majesty! I appreciate your position, but I will not let you threaten my nephew."

Walking towards Kazi, she placed a hand on her arm, offering silent support.

"This is unacceptable!" he declared; his voice thick with disapproval. "Azrael is already betrothed! To General Kazi, no less!" He turned to Azrael, a look of disappointment clouding his features. "Never did I think... Azrael, you harbour feelings for men?"

The weight of the discovery appeared to crush Azrael. Without saying anything, he turned and walked away from the confused audience. Akiel, sensing his brother's pain, quickly followed. Even Concubine Coriel, her expression impassive, took a long look at Kazi before racing after her sons.

Kazi, her heart thumping frantically against her ribs, felt the ground shift beneath her. The carefully constructed world she had created was disintegrating around her. She cast a glance towards Nia, a silent request for assistance in her eyes.

She offered a reassuring nod, the unspoken promise of support hanging heavy in the air. The garden, once a tranquil haven, was now a battlefield of shattered secrets and unspoken desires.

Queen Evangeline, her eyes narrowed like a predator, swung back to face Kazi. "Very well, Sir K." What are your options?"

Kazi gazed down at her gloved hands, the silence extending into infinity. Shame scorched her throat, leaving a foul taste. "With all due respect, Your Majesty," she eventually replied, her voice filled with remorse. "I choose to leave."

Princess Athiel's eyes widened with surprise. "What? No! You cannot leave! I thought..." Her voice drifted off, a pang of betrayal resonating through her tone.

Kazi felt a sense of pity for the princess, but the situation was too difficult for her to stay. "I apologise," she said, her voice barely audible, before turning to walk away. The weight of her secret identity and the unexpected revelation rested heavily on her shoulders.

Nia and Ren exchanged a worried glance before hurrying after Kazi. They found her in her chambers, throwing clothes into a travel bag with a franticness that betrayed her hidden emotions.

"K," Nia began nervously, "is everything that Athiel said true?"

Kazi paused packing; her expression unreadable. "Azrael... he is confused," she finally admitted, the untruth stinging on her tongue.

Nia looked at her sister, her face wrinkled. "And you, K.?" Do you have any feelings for him?

Kazi held her sight, her voice steady. "Absolutely not." I am only here for the mission."

Ren stepped forward. "So, is the mission officially over?"

Kazi breathed deeply and let out a long sigh. "Weeks in Althea, and barely a lead on the traitor," she continued, her voice heavy with frustration. "It is time to go home, see if we can pick up the investigation from Niameda."

Nia put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Okay, you do not have to go right back to Niameda. Visit Ivamis instead. We can figure it out together."

Kazi gazed at her, a glimmer of gratitude in her face. "Thank you, Nia, but right now I just want to go home." She returned to packing, a newfound desire to finish her goal burning bright beneath the surface.

The garden may have revealed her secrets, but Kazi, was not finished yet. She would discover the traitor and safeguard her kingdom, even if it meant leaving behind an unanticipated complication: feelings she had never intended to have for Prince Azrael.