Prologue

In ancient times, a fierce war raged between those in power and those who sought to usurp it. Darkness spread throughout the realm, curling its gnarled roots into the depths of the land's soul. Mages, once said to be blessed by the Goddess of Light, had been corrupted by an insatiable thirst for power. Blood painted the soil red, and fire blackened the trees. Nothing was left in the wicked mages' wake.

As all seemed lost, a group of heroes arose to shine light against the encroaching darkness. Each carried a weapon enchanted with the power of the elements: a ceri. Fire, water, wind, earth, lightning, shadow, and light. Some say these weapons were a blessing, a gift from Aeriala Herself. Others believe the so-called heroes used forbidden magicks to rival the mages themselves.

In the decisive battle, an unnamed hero hunted down Niathra, the leader of the blood mages, and overcame him, slicing his head clean off with a single blow. With their leader dead and their losses great, the remaining mages slunk back into the shadows. The war was won, but the ensuing peace would not last forever.

In the days to come, the heroes' hard fought struggle became known as the Blood Mages' War. To prevent future tragedies, the seven-kingdom alliance unified under the name of Nilara.

     Although the war had ended, the heroes mission was not yet complete, for the remnants of those who opposed them lived on. After all, great power attracts those who would abuse it. To ensure their ceri would never fall into the wrong hands, the heroes sealed them away, creating obstacles and tests for any who would dare venture to retrieve them.

The people of Nilara relished their newfound peace, allowing the story of the heroes to fade into legend. Centuries later, the tale of the heroes is all but forgotten, leaving little to protect the land from the oncoming darkness.