Ch. 4: My Home is Your Home

He brought me food three times a day for the two days I was in the hotel, never really hovering, staying a few minutes only to make sure I didn't need anything. He didn't pressure me, he didn't push, he just left it be and let me think; gave me my space.

   I didn't want to go home, and winter had made the streets almost unbearable, moving in with someone I barely new wasn't the best idea but at least for the winter it'd be a roof over my head. He hadn't tried anything so far, and he had been the only one to show me kindness; to top it off he'd already saved my life twice. I wondered if it really was such a bad idea to give it a shot? I'd done more dangerous things hadn't I? The worst that could happen is he could turn out to be truly some psycho who tried to kill me but then that would counter him saving my life twice.

   The morning of the third day, at check out time, he showed up at the hotel room door. He wore tight leather pants, a pair of Harley Davidson biker boots, a leather jacket partially open and a v-neck distressed black T-shirt underneath that showed just the top of his chest muscles. His hair was disheveled like he had been in the wind and it was damp.

   "Good morning Maddie, did you sleep well?" He asked as I stepped aside and let him in the room; he shook his head like a wet dog.

   "Same night terrors as always." I muttered, he made me feel like I could be frank with him and he wouldn't judge me.

   "Sorry you didn't sleep well." He said, a frown maring his full lips, "Have you made your decision?" He asked hesitantly, "I'm not trying to push, if you need a couple more days..." He began, only for me to raise my hand and silence him.

   "I've done some pretty dangerous shit in my life already, but the winter days are getting colder, but before I give you an answer I wanna know why? Why are you being so nice to me? What's in it for you?" I asked flatly.

   "I just figured you didn't want to go home, and CPS told me you'd run away from the foster home when they called me to ask if I might know where you are also...I've been where you're at...in your shoes." He let out a sigh shoving his hands in his jacket pockets, "And I just want to help. I have no ulterior motives. When I saw you lying nearly dead in that ally I felt a connection to you...I can't explain it...but something tells me I was meant to find you in that ally...I was meant to save you Maddie." Taking one hand from his pocket he ruffled it through his hair and laughed nervously, "Lame, I know; but the truth."

   I didn't take much stock in fate, or destiny; I believed it was just luck he found me in that ally, but after some of the shit I'd done, I wasn't about to judge him, "I'll give it a shot, I get one bad vibe and I'm gone again, and don't come looking for me."

   "I get it, I seem flakey, you flake out." he gave me a wane smile, "I'm not out to get you Maddie." he stated flatly.

   "I don't trust no one Adrick, I'm only agreeing to this to get out of the cold and save my own ass." I nearly hissed out.

   He put his hands up in the air as if surrendering, "Alright, I get it, I get it, no need to be hissy." he chided.

   "It may even only be temporary; maybe just till winter is over." I stated, he simply smiled.

   "If that's what you wish, I'm not gonna try and hold you prisoner." he stated, "Shall we go?"

   I nodded my head and we left out the room, turned in the keys then exited the hotel. Outside the hotel sat a black and red shiny Harley Davidson that he motioned towards.

   "My uh car is in the shop, and I live in the outskirts of town, so, this is our means of travel for now." he said scratching his head again and squinting his eyes slightly, "Not the smartest nor safest in winter...but as long as you wear this it should be fine." he said grabbing a helmet off the back and handing it to me.

   "What about you?" I asked as I put it on, his safety was just as important.

   He gave a soft laugh, "I'll be fine, trust me." I raised my eyebrow at his confidence in himself, throwing one long leg over the bike he reached out his hand for me, looking at it a moment I stared at it, then finally took it; his hands were extremely warm for it being so cold out and him not wearing gloves, "Hang on tight." he said, nervously I wrapped my arms around him and locked my fingers together; the bike roared to life and we were off the wind whipping through my hair.

   We drove for a while, the city dying away into the suburbs, then finally into more wooded type areas; the trees blurred by the bike unnerving me. We finally turned down a long rocky drive, the pebbles kicking up behind the wheels of the bike. At the end of the drive was a ranch style house; bigger than the home I was used to living in. The front yard was huge, and the house had a screened in front porch. It's siding was a pale grey against the dark green of the woods, it's roof black; with red shutters at each window. It was a nice house on the outside. Pulling around the back of the house he pulled into a double garage. Once he turned off the bike I just sat there a moment, my stiff fingers still locked in place; I'd never ridden on a motorcycle before. Finally I got my fingers to release and I climbed off the bike, stretching my aching fingers.

   "First time on a bike I take it?" he asked and chuckled lightly.

   "Yes." I responded shaking my head.

   "I drive faster than that when it's just me." he said laughing.

   "Well thank you for not being a speed demon." I snarked.

   "Come on Maddie." he said with another laugh then nodded his head towards the house.

   I followed him through the large backyard, which held a patio, a grill and a fire pit; he surely was living a high life in my eyes. He opened the back door and the heat from the inside rushed passed me, causing me to let out a sigh; my mom's house had never put off this kind of warmth. My mom's house had been a run down rat trap, two small bedrooms, a half kitchen and one small living room. 

   We entered into a large kitchen, the largest I'd ever seen, it had stainless steel appliances, a double wide fridge, and a small kitchenette. It was done in bright shades of yellow and hues of a soft green, with light wood cabinets with granite counter tops. My moms kitchen had been dark wood and dirty, with mold in places; this kitchen was immaculate. We left that room and entered a large living room, my brain trying to fathom how much he had spent on the T.V. and stereo that sat in the room alone. The couch and chair set were leather and looked like they reclined with glass end tables and a glass coffee table. The end wall held two large glass shelved book shelves. From the living room we headed down a hall where he showed me three bedrooms and two baths; least I wouldn't have to share a bathroom with him.

   "This back bedroom is mine, you have your choice of the other two bedrooms." he said, "Choose whichever one you want, if you don't like anything about them we can change it." He stopped in the middle of the hall, "Well this is it, my  home is your home Maddie, just take your time and settle in."

   "Thank you Adrick." I said, "I'll take the first bedroom." I said.

   "Alright. I uh, I have work tonight, tomorrow I'm off, so, if you'd like I can take you into town and we can get you some stuff for your bathroom." he said, "Just...please no drugs in my house...I know habits are hard to break...I'm just asking you to not do it here." he said softly, "I'm not judging you nor calling you out...I've been there Maddie I know what it's like."

   I rubbed my hands together beneath his unwavering gaze. I knew I had a problem, but when he presented it to me that way it made it feel like my problem was 10x's worse.