Prologue

~ KASUWAR KURMI 1681

The night was new when it was raining lightly, dampening the earth. A young boy carrying a pile of animal skin fully focused on the path to his father's tent at the market was suddenly knocked to the ground by a large horse that had galloped passed him.

He didn't see or heard it coming, he was so deep in thoughts of the food he would go back home to after that errand.

As he was pushing himself up from the ground he noticed a paper, it must have been the rider's.

Hesitantly, he reached for it and headed to his father, maybe he can figure how to give the letter back to the anonymous rider.

"Habu?! Ina kasamo wannan? (where did you get this from?)"

The young boy's father exclaimed after reading the contents of the letter, the boy began to panic because he had noticed the royal stamp on it.

His father looked around his tent to see if anyone had seen what had just happened, slightly shivering and murmuring prayers to Allah.

The boy simply kept watching his father, regretting reaching for that letter, if only he'd known it would cause such uneasiness to his father and possibly change their fates forever.

"Baba" he whispered, tears were threatening to grace his cheeks.

His father moved towards him and placed his hand on the boy's head, "Don't worry, may Allah bless you, go home now and eat." he shoved the letter in his pocket and watched his boy run home. Once again, praying to Allah for his safety.

He contemplated burning the letter, but it could save lives. If he was to keep the letter then it might fall into the wrong hands, maybe he should bury it somewhere and wait for when the anonymous rider would come in search for it.

They might, they should, they have to.