Part 2 The Riots

It was October 31, 1984, a date that would be etched in Jasveer's memory forever. At 11 a.m., Jasveer headed to the market to buy some groceries, unaware of the storm that was about to engulf the city. As he walked through the bustling streets, he sensed an unusual tension in the air. People were whispering, eyes darting around nervously.

Suddenly, a wave of chaos erupted. Jasveer barely had time to process the scene unfolding before him. A mob of 100 to 200 people, armed with sticks, knives, swords, and other weapons, surged through the market, targeting anyone wearing a turban. The screams of terror and the sight of men being mercilessly attacked and killed like vegetables being chopped left Jasveer paralyzed with fear.

As the horror around him intensified, Jasveer felt himself on the verge of fainting. Just then, Rohit appeared out of nowhere, a black cloth clutched in his hand. Rohit grabbed Jasveer and pulled him into a narrow corridor between two shops. Jasveer was too shocked to resist.

"Stay still," Rohit whispered urgently as he tore open the packet, revealing a burka inside. Within a few seconds, he put the burka on him, slipping it over his head. It covered him from head to toe, concealing his identity. Jasveer, still in a daze, barely registered what was happening. His mind was numb with fear and confusion.

As Rohit had transformed Jasveer's appearance. "Come on," he urged, leading him out of the corridor. Jasveer, now disguised as a woman, clung to Rohit as they made their way to Rohit's bicycle. Rohit helped Jasveer sit on the cycle side vise, positioning him like a lady , and then pedalled furiously towards home.

As they sped through the streets, the scenes of destruction were everywhere. Blood stained the roads, bodies lay strewn on the sidewalks, and fires raged, consuming shops and homes alike. The smell of smoke and the cries of despair filled the air, painting a picture of sheer horror and brutality.

When they finally reached Rohit's house, the urgency of their escape hadn't diminished. In their haste, as they rushed through the front door, the burka slipped, briefly exposing Jasveer's turbaned head. A woman in a nearby window caught sight of the Sikh boy entering Rohit's house.

Rohit quickly readjusted the burka and ushered Jasveer inside, bolting the door behind them. Panting heavily, they leaned against the door, trying to catch their breath.

Rohit's mother, sensing something was wrong, hurried over. "What happened?" she asked, her voice filled with concern.

"Mom, we need to hide Jasveer," Rohit said, his voice trembling. "The riots have started. They're targeting Sikhs. We have to protect him."

Realising the gravity of the situation, Rohit's mother nodded. "Come with me," she said, guiding them to an inner room at the back of the house.

As they settled in, Rohit narrated the entire ordeal to his mother, Sunita, while Jasveer, still in shock, sat trembling in a corner. Sunita handed Jasveer a glass of water, her eyes filled with concern. She pulled him into a comforting hug, feeling the weight of the fear he carried.

Jasveer finally began to process the enormity of what had just happened. He looked at Rohit and his mother, his eyes filled with gratitude and fear. "Thank you," he whispered, his voice breaking.

"We're in this together, Jasveer," Sunita Aunty replied firmly. "We'll keep you safe. No matter what."

"Did anyone see you bring Jasveer here?" Sunita asked, her voice tense with worry.

Rohit nodded reluctantly. "Yes, his burka slipped off just outside our home. Someone might have seen."

Sunita's face grew pale. "That means Jasveer is not safe yet. We are in the middle of all strong Indira Gandhi supporters. Anyone could be dangerous."

A sudden knock on the door made them all jump. It was a neighbour woman, peering through the crack in the door with suspicion. "Who did you bring home, Sunita? I saw someone come in."

Sunita kept her composure. "Oh, you must be mistaken. We didn't bring anyone home," she said, managing a calm smile.

The woman squinted, clearly not convinced, but after a few moments, she left, muttering under her breath. As soon as the door was closed, Sunita's fear surged. "We have to do something quickly before someone else comes to inquire again."