15. fifth period

Mia was giving me the cold shoulder since her confrontation. I tried talking to her again a few times but she cut me off, refusing to listen. She left without me in the mornings for breakfast, didn't walk with me to classes, and returned to our dorm late every night.

I was met with a mixture of glares and smirks from Adam whenever I happened to see him. He was starting to make my skin crawl. I ignored him every time, hoping he would go away.

Oliver was still talking to me. He was aware of a falling out between Mia and I but didn't pry. He had moved out of the dorm he shared with Adam and moved into another one with two other boys in our year.

I felt quite lonely without Mia. I wished she would let me explain and things would go back to normal.

I decided to take the extra potions class every Tuesday fifth period. I thought it would take my mind off things and I'd get to see my Professor again. We were still keeping up with the agreement of not meeting alone so the only chance I got to see him was in class and in the Great Hall during breakfast and dinner.

I walked into the potions classroom to find it nearly empty. No one had bothered to learn about the potions that wouldn't be coming up in the exams. I didn't blame them. Who would want to take on extra burden when there's already so much to prepare for? Not to brag but even I didn't need to learn those potions. One read of the textbook, one practice session, and I'd know it by heart. My only reason for going was my dear Professor.

He was stood in front of a desk, his head shaking in conversation, probably explaining or answering a question to the student who sat there. I was just about to take my usual seat when he turned to face me. The student he had been talking to was none other than Emily the redhead.

What the fuck is she doing here? I asked him in my mind as I sat down. I didn't care if I sounded bitter.

Well, hello to you too. She's here to study. Are you okay? You seem upset. He walked over to his desk and sat down. He began marking some papers.

     I'm fine. I replied bluntly. Aren't you supposed to be teaching us?

     It's only you two. Shall I suggest that you both work together? He asked genuinely.

     No, thanks. I said smugly.

     Alright then. Do what you wish.

     I opened up my textbook to find a potion to work on. I decided to do Veritaserum as I enjoyed the brewing process of that particular potion. Despite being a class to learn the other potions which won't come up in exam, I thought it would be best to revise those that will be.

     I walked over to the ingredients cupboard and chose a cauldron to work in. I picked all the ingredients I needed for the truth serum and placed them inside the cauldron. Then I made my way back to my table and set everything up.

     Soon enough, the potion was simmering under a low heat. For a while I had forgotten that I had any problems. I had forgotten about Mia and Adam. The thoughts circled around in my mind at first but once I started cutting, squeezing and adding the different ingredients, my entire focus was on the bubbling liquid in front of me.

Brewing potions was like therapy for me. I felt like I was a natural in the subtle art. It was the only subject I was the best at, I received an O in my O.W.Ls.

I sometimes wondered if I inherited this talent from my mother. I never knew what she was like at Hogwarts. I wish she could tell me stories about her time here. About the subjects she excelled in, and the ones she didn't, about her friends, what sort of trouble she got into, how much fun she must've had. The only thing I knew about her life at Hogwarts was that she was a Hufflepuff, like me.