Chapter 5 - Leo

I drove fast and it wasn't before I believed we had driven far enough that I stopped the car on the side of the road in the dark and called Marco. Isabella was breathing hard beside me, like she couldn't catch a breath.

Every time I asked her if she was okay, she only mumbled a response. I could sense that she was still in shock. Marco's phone rang a couple of times before he finally answered, and I felt relieved.

"It's me," I said.

"Leo! Where are you? Is my daughter with you?"

"Yeah, I took her out of the place. What happened?"

"We were under attack, that's what happened. Fuck this! I'm going to murder them!" Marco was barking into the phone.

"Do you want me to get back? I can drop Isabella off at the house," I suggested.

"No. Keep her away from me tonight. You need to keep her safe, you hear? Make sure she doesn't come anywhere near me tonight!" Marco continued to bark.

"Let me talk to him! I want to talk to him!" Isabella screeched beside me and she snatched the phone out of my hand before I could stop her.

"Papa! Where are you!" she screamed into the phone.

I gripped the steering wheel hard, listening to her scream at her father.

"Why can't you tell me where you are? What happened back there? We could all be killed! Me, our friends, you!"

I couldn't hear what Marco was saying to her, but I could sense that he was failing to placate her. He was only pissing her off even more.

"What are you talking about? How can I be calm when we all nearly died?" she screeched some more.

Then there was silence. She was listening to what he was saying, her breasts heaving up and down. That beautiful navy dress she had picked out that morning looked a little torn in the struggle. Her hair, which she had loosely pinned in a bun at the side of her head, had now come undone. Her long chocolate colored strands were falling delicately around her face.

"Fine. Whatever!" she snapped and threw the phone at me. I could see that she'd ended the call already. I slipped it back into the pocket of my jeans and we sat together in the car in silence. I gave her a few moments to catch her breath.

"He wants me to stick with you tonight. He doesn't want me to go back to the house," she said finally in a quiet voice after we had been silent for a while.

"Yes, I know, that's what he told me too," I said. Isabella kicked her foot in her seat. She growled and banged her fist on the window in anger. I clenched the steering wheel tighter. I wanted to help her. I wanted to find a way to make her feel better but I didn't know how.

"Isabella." I said her name in a deep voice and she turned to look at me. Some of her mascara was running down her cheeks now, but she still looked beautiful. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

"Tell me what I can do to make you feel better," I said and she gulped.

The fierceness in her eyes dimmed a little now and she licked her lips quietly.

"Take me to Mama's grave," she said quietly. I stared at her, mulling the idea over in my head. It wasn't a good idea. It was the dead of night, and I had no backup. Taking her to the graveyard at this time would be a risk, it would open us up to all kinds of attacks.

"Please?" her voice cracked as she said it and I started the engine again. If that was what she wanted, that was exactly what I was going to give her.

We drove in silence to the graveyard. I could see from the corner of my eye Isabella dabbing at her eyes with her knuckles.