II. False Worship

"These are the sayings of the rival gods!"

High priest Manfred, spoke amongst a crowd hidden in cloaks to hide their identity. The high priest now secretly driven under the city of Starhold peaches the words of the pantheon of gods. Not long after King Marcus took power the temple had been nearly completed its repairs and restored to its former glory however the new king had other plans and instead took the temple for himself and turned it into a shrine for the god of bargains, Agora. For the first time in the history of Starhold, the people no longer were allowed to worship the pantheon as it was deemed treasonous in the sight of Marcus. Manfred is the last of the temple tribunal as many stood their ground against the king but fell by his sword. Marcus preached amongst the crowd that was underground in an old abandoned sewer under an abandoned mill in the lower city.

"Has anyone here today wanted to confess their woes against the gods?"

A man in a cloak approached Manfred to what seemed like a confession. Instead, the tip of a sword was inches from the high priest as the followers fled and a group of the king's men came in surrounding the priest.

"So the false teacher has finally been found."

Manfred spat on the ground and cursed the man with the blade.

"The son of a mad king reveals himself as a blasphemer. The gods will never forgive your treachery."

The man with the blade revealed himself uncovering his hood. Hector son of the king smiled in satisfaction after finally catching the last high priest.

"You're as stupid as a mourn-glow hog. I figured your little scheme out once I found your little flyers all over the city claiming you were a great philosopher from far lands. I must say I'm not impressed at your secrecy, it's rather sloppy."

Hector put away his sword and ordered his men to capture the priest. Manfred didn't fight back he only lowered his head.

"My child. You do realize what the king will do to me if you go through with this?"

Hector didn't answer the old man but he knew very well. He often felt petty for the law breakers but what was done was done. If he is to be king some day he mustn't let others step all over him. He turned his cheek and left the stench of the hole they were in. Not long after he ascended from the sewer the sound of many horses was heard coming into the city as the gates were lifted for the arrival. Elena and her men along with prisoners came in fatigued and hungry from their long venture. The swords and weapons of the men were covered in blood. The people cheered for their arrival waving flags and throwing flowers to the men. Elena had set out to finish off the eastern rebellion just six months ago putting an end to their treachery. After the death of the rebellion leader (Duke Conrad) decapitated by the current king Marcus. The United Rebellion had been split into two rebel states after their leader's death. In the eastern rebellion, forces raided nearby villages to help fund their cause but eventually ran dry of gold leading to a weaker military force. After hearing of the weakening of the East Elena, the daughter of the king had been sent out to put an end to the Eastern rebellion which didn't take long until they were defeated, pressured by Elena's forces. It seemed like the end had come in the east but word from the king requested an odd favor to bring back "worthy" peasants from the eastern villages to have them brought before the king. Elena didn't stall or question her father and made haste as soon as she could. Riding into Starfall cheered by the people felt like she was a hero to her people but felt sorry for those who couldn't make it to see their families. It didn't take long for Elena to soon spot her brother in the crowd she waved as he signaled for her to follow him. She unmounted from her horse and followed Hector to the base of the temple steps.

"Father wants to see the both of us. It seemed important."

Elena rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. She didn't like being in her father's presence anymore ever since he became king.

"It's probably something over the top and extravagant like one of his games."

"Elena, father isn't the same since you've last seen him. For me, it's been a few months but I know the last time I've seen him he's been acting strangely. Mother says she has it under control but I fear the worst."

Hector noticed Elena's satchel partially opened revealing the strange book.

"What's that?"

Hector reached for the book and touched it. Suddenly he felt a dark energy that was almost electrifying and with an intense gnawing pain coursing through his hand and up his arm. It was only a moment's touch of the dark book that he jerked his hand back.

"Ow. What is that thing?"

His fingertips that gently caressed the book cover had turned solid black slowly returning to its original color. Elena seeing this closed up her satchel shifting it to her other side out of his view. She kept quiet not answering his question. It seemed odd to him but he didn't want to peruse it as he knew his sister well when it came to forbidden magic. While the two were talking a strange man came up to them fully dressed in a black cloak and hood. The figure stood there for a moment. Elena knew exactly why he was here it was time to see the king.

"The king requests that his offspring meet in the halls of his majesty."

The strange one said in an unsettling echo-like voice that would make anyone shiver. Their very presents were crawling all over the keep serving the king. No one is too sure where they came from or who they were but to Elena, it felt like they were the rival god Agora's lackeys overseeing her father. Just the way they seemed to glide away made her skin crawl. Not long after the strange one's departure both Elena and Hector went up to the keep where their father resided.