1

You looked at the computer screen clock, the digits gleaming in the dark office. It was far later than you had planned to stay at work-it said 10:00 PM. You let out a deep breath as you massaged your eyes and stretched your aching muscles, feeling the strain of the exhausting day finally sink in.

"Being a marketing manager is not easy work at all" As you gathered your things and prepared to leave, you noticed that it was raining outside. "Might as well drink some coffee to warm up"

As you walked down the hallway to get coffee in the vending machine, something caught your eye.

There, standing in the designated non-smoking area, was a man who had a muscular figure in his black suit casually puffing on a cigarette. The acrid scent of smoke wafted through the air, mingling with the lingering fragrance of cologne.

You were not sure how to respond, so you paused for a moment. Shall I go up to the man and politely inform him that it was not allowed to smoke here? Or should I just brush it off and move on?

You made your way towards the man. As you neared him, you could see the tendrils of smoke curling upwards from the cigarette held between his fingers.

"Hey, do you plan to burn the whole building? It's a no-smoking area"

He turned to you and exhaled some smoke. You coughed and suddenly felt his presence closer to you.

"Is that so? Then blow it off if you can, dear."

He remarked, a hint of mischief dancing in his eyes.

As you gathered your thoughts to respond to his previous remark, he unexpectedly turned and began to walk away.

"Hey, are you not gonna say sorry? You just blew smoke in front of my face" you said in annoyance.

His faint chuckle in response echoed down the hallway. "See you soon, miss"

What the hell? What does he mean by seeing me soon?

"I hope to see you never again! You replied, your voice carrying a hint of irritation.

He just waved while his back was facing you.

"Bastard"

Saturday.

As the weekend rolled around. With no work to occupy your time. You decided to lend a hand at your mother's cozy cafe, a familiar haven of warmth and comfort that held a special place in her heart.

As you pushed open the door to your mother's cafe, the air was filled with the tempting scent of freshly brewed coffee and sugary sweets, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

"Y/n! Oh, my darling, what a wonderful surprise!" Your mother exclaimed, setting down the tray of orders and crossing the space between the two of you in quick strides. With open arms, she enveloped you in a warm and tight embrace.

"Mom, I wanted to help out today and spend some time with you" you smiled.

With a gentle smile, she inquired, "How was work, dear? Anything interesting happened?"

Your voice filled with a mix of amusement and contemplation. "It was quite eventful. I met a man in the hallway who was smoking in a non-smoking area"

"Oh, that must have been a bit unsettling. Did you say anything to him?" she asked.

"Yes, I did. I kindly reminded him that it was a non-smoking area. But can you believe it, Mom? He actually blew smoke in front of my face as I was talking to him. To be honest, I found it a little annoying." you said, sounding a little annoyed.

Your mother's eyes twinkled with mirth as she listened to your recounting of the incident, a soft chuckle escaping her lips.

"Oh, dear, some people just have a quirky sense of humor. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm by it"

With a sense of purpose, you rolled up your sleeves and began preparing a batch of delicate pastries and drinks.

While your mother was chatting happily with a customer, the cafe door opened and a man wearing a sharp beige suit entered. Amidst the clatter of utensils and the soft whir of the mixer, you heard your mother's voice calling out a greeting to a customer who had just entered.

As you turned to look their way, your interest sparked by the sight of the newcomer, and a flash of recognition appeared in your mind.

Recognizing the man from the hallway instantly, you felt a flutter of surprise and intrigue at his unexpected presence in the cafe.

"Y/n, dear, come over here," your mother called out while smiling.

"Y/n, this is Mr. Kento, one of our regulars at the cafe, he and I go way back. He's been a regular here for years, always choosing to order his coffee and pastries from our humble little cafe, even though there are plenty of other cafes in the neighborhood."

"Mr. Kento, this is my daughter, Y/n. She's been helping out in the cafe today."

Nanami's gaze met yours, his eyes crinkling at the corners with a smile of recognition.

"Ah, it's a pleasure to meet you... Y/n."

"I must say, you're as beautiful as your mother," he remarked not taking his gaze off of you.

You were surprised by the unexpected praise. "Thank you, Mr. Kento. That's very kind of you to say," you replied finally knowing his name.

Your mother glowed with pleasure at Nanami's comment. "Isn't he such a charmer, Y/n? Mr. Kento always knows how to make a lady feel special," she teased.

Special huh? You reflect, remembering the scene where he blew smoke in front of your face.