Rise of the Dalon Part 5. (not copy edited yet)

Seeing them coming William realised the moment had come and took Vallessa to one side. He was more than ready for the coming outburst but that was of little concern. Knowing that Vallessa would be safe his thoughts had turned again to Balor. He seemed to be endlessly striving to keep his oath as a warden while giving all he could for his family. The others watched from a distance, and the impending encounter brought a smile to Farmers face. William stopped and held Vallessa's hands in his. Vallessa opened her mouth to ask what was wrong, but her words were cut off by a bellowed warning from the guard stationed on the roof. James and Jay, who were staying on the roof right up to the last possible moment almost lost their footing, they were so surprised. Both looked at each other critically, passing the blame for losing their self imposed challenge and then simultaneously looked to the horizon.

Lord Jonts strode in to the yard, from Williams Hall, and looked up at the guard.

"Patrol coming in fast Lord" the guard reported pointing southeast.

Jay and James then picked up the patrol, which although on foot were making good ground as they approached the farm.

Lord Jonts shouted back "Any more".

There was a pause before the guard confirmed that patrols were rolling in from the south. Jay and James continued to look on in dismay. The guard smiled to herself.

Lord Jonts turned to the captain and gave his orders. "Make ready the defences and bring the patrols to me". He then headed back to the hall. Shouting over his shoulder as he went he added "And get these civillians out of here"

The captain gave the signal to the guards on the gate and they began to shepherd William and the others out of the yard. All were happy to go, eager to get as far away from the monsters that the guard so carelessly talked about. All except William, who would stay. Farmer took the reins of the horse and Crane climbed in to the cart. Finally Jay and James came down arguing amongst themselves and jumped up next to Crane. All done with no encouragement from the guards.

Vallessa began to turn towards the others and was surprised to see that her father had made no move. "We must go" she said her voice dropping away as she instinctively realised that her father planned to stay.

"No" William said with a sigh "you will go and be safe, I will stay". He held her hands tight; he had wanted more time to explain. He did not take his eyes off her.

Vallessa's voice was stubborn, matter of fact, as she replied, "No you won't, you can't, so come on," she said firmly. She pushed back the feeling that she was wasting her time, it would not be the first time she had put her father right. She loved Balor dearly, they were brother and sister, but somehow she knew he was alright. He was Balor and he was with Rook.

William spoke softly "I can't go, not until the last moment. Not until I have given Balor every chance. I have to stay".

Vallessa remained firm. "We all want Balor back and he will be back, but we all must go. Now father".

"No" William said taking Vallessa close.

Vallessa held her father. She felt she should argue with him, persuade him to come, force his hand as she had so many times before, she knew it would be no good, but still she fought it.

William held her tight "I love you Vallessa, with all my heart, where you go I will follow, but if Balor is lost to us then I must be sure that I have done all I can". William, still holding her, searched Vallessas face for understanding. Tears welled up and ran down her face. She turned her head away from her father.

"You'd better come soon because next time you won't win, I won't let you" she said forcing a smile through the tears.

William knew that that might well be the case. He smiled, and turned to Farmer. "Take them to our wards people then you, Crain and the boys should go to the citadel and I will meet you there"

Farmer nodded and began to lead them off. He ordered James and Jay to help Vallessa up and they went to it without hesitation. Once Vallessa was on the cart she did not take her eyes off William. William held her gaze as Farmer pushed through the gate and led them all north as the first patrols came in to the yard. Leena had not argued with William, she knew what he had to do and would have done the same herself. They had said their goodbye alone, quietly away from the others and now she sat with her arm around Vallessa, a single tear ran down her face as they left William behind, she made sure no one saw.