Part 2

Dawn didn't wake me up. It was the annoying chirp of the birds.

I sat up.

The sheets were twisted around me. Master Ophrem's harsh snores were partially muffled by a pillow. Untangling myself, I left the bed to make some tea in the cottage's kitchen.

The kettle was empty, though.

I glanced towards the room I'd just come from. Surely, I could slip out just long enough to get some water for the well without him noticing.

I knew the consequences of leaving without first asking permission, but I also knew the consequences of not having tea ready for when he woke up.

I plucked my cloak from the rack by the door and left.

The chill of the frosty morning nipped at my nose and bit at my ankles as I trudged through the mud grass. The trees were my silent companions as I managed to follow the almost beaten path to the cobblestone well. My thin, cotton dress didn't do much to keep me warm as I hugged the fleece cloak tighter around me.

It had been worth it when Master Ophrem granted me the cloak, after I had sewn together 600 leather belts for him to sell at market. I didn't ask him where he acquired the material, I didn't care. My fingers were numb and raw, for days, but the winter chill was unforgiving. Much like my master.

I reached the well and uncovered it. The water wasn't frozen, but rather a sort of slush like consistency. I tugged on the rope with all my might to get the bucket of water up.

A squirrel jumped up onto the well.

It's inky, black eyes made contact with mine. I silently told it to run away. There were creatures in this forest far deadlier than predators. It only blinked back in response.

The squirrel climbed along the edge of the well.

"Don't do that," I warned.

The fuzzy creature ignored me and instead crawled deeply into the well.

"No!" I reached out to prevent the creature from going into the water, but my foot slipped and I dove head-first into the well.

I crashed to the bottom, my clothes soaked in icy water. The rope was attached to the pulley and the other end was still at the top unattached to anything.

I was trapped in the cobblestone well.

My breath came out in a cloud as the cold enveloped me. My lips grew numb along with my fingertips.

The squirrel was long gone and I was going to freeze to death.

I had no idea when Master Ophrem would awaken and if he noticed I was gone, he might not search for me in the well.

The callous cobblestones seemed to mock me for being a foolish girl. One who didn't want the squirrel to drown in the well and ended up in it herself. The water was only waist deep, but my arm throbbed with pain. I injured it on the way down.

I don't know how long I was in the well, but when I heard the sound of footsteps, I bolted up.

My voice shook as I cried out, "Is anyone there? Please help me!"

Relief flooded me when the rope was tossed in. I tugged on it twice to make sure it was secure. Gathering what little strength I possessed, I climbed. I climbed until my strength was gone and I reached the top.

I heaved myself over the well and fell to the cold earth. Nothing but relief pumping through my veins.

"I'm sorry," I spoke between deep breaths, "Master Ophrem, I was just trying to make tea." I would take my punishment, for I determined deep within the well, that I would not like the embrace of death just yet.