Chapter 30

Tiv

Monday 23rd July, Year 825

It was my first day working for my Father. I wore an uncomfortable army uniform with a matching moronic hat. I realised quickly my job was to stand still and look pretty, smiling and looking presentable while Father made speeches to a crowd of supporters. Flashes from cameras illuminated the room as I tried to maintain the perfect image of a proud son supporting his father's political career. But inside, I felt like a fraud. When the speeches were over, I was forced to shake hands and engage in small talk with people my Father had meticulously coached me on beforehand. I could feel my cheeks starting to ache from the fake smile plastered on my face. The last time my cheeks hurt from smiling, it was because I was happy. I pushed the memory down but couldn't stop her face from surfacing. Her wide-eyed gaze. Her body. Her smile.

My phone buzzed in my pocket jolting me back to reality.

"Yes?" I said.

"Mr Hawes, your offer has been accepted on the Nel Street property," the estate agent said happily.

"Great! What's next?" I asked.

"We have some paperwork to go over. I'll send it to you now. I'll get a move date to exchange keys to the properties," she explained.

"You're a gem! Thanks," I said.

"Not a problem, sir."

I hung up as my father approached.

"I'm moving out," I grinned.

"Good," he smiled back, nodding at a passerby. "Meredith informed me it was your birthday. I'll pay for your apartment. Call the agent and sort it."

I was surprised by the gesture or that he wanted to mark the occasion at all. I wasn't surprised Meredith had to tell him it was my birthday.

"Thank you," I mumbled.

"You're a man now. Men work for what they want. Take what you can, when you can. You have your mother's money and an income. The apartment will be the last thing you get from me."

I ignored his cynical speech. "I want Meredith as my housekeeper."

"Not a chance," he said, a smile still tattooed on his face for the cameras yet there was no humour there.

"What if that's what she'd prefer?" I asked.

"Well, I'm hardly keeping her against her will. But she won't leave your sister," Father pointed out. "And you can't afford to pay her what I pay her."

I did not reply, knowing he was right.

Another potential voter came up and shook our hands, brightly enthusing about my Father's policies.

"Am I done yet?" I said under my breath, a smile still plastered upon my face.

"Not yet."

I did not get back to the manor until the sun was setting. I had to remind myself not to rush. I had two texts from Kale and one from Xander demanding I came out and celebrated but I was simply too tired. I had no intention of leaving the manor. The moment Meredith opened the door, I made a beeline for the bar. The smooth liquid burned down my throat as I downed my first drink in one gulp. As I reached for a second glass, Meredith made herself known.

"Happy birthday!" she smiled.

"Thanks," I grumbled.

"Darling, are you well?" she asked.

"I'm grand," I threw back the second whiskey with a sigh, pouring a third.

She gently put her arm on my wrist to stop me from drinking from the glass. She had hoped to sooth me yet her touch did nothing.