MIAMI (1/5)

summary
olivia and chris's story continues three weeks after the events of designated driver. olivia meets chris at a local diner for breakfast, but things don't go as planned, hurtling her life down a new path.

elle fanning as
OLIVIA

manny montana asCHRISTOPHER

manny montana as
CHRISTOPHER

Three weeks after their rendezvous outside La Zona, Olivia was sitting across from Chris in the booth of a diner not far from her house

Three weeks after their rendezvous outside La Zona, Olivia was sitting across from Chris in the booth of a diner not far from her house. Kai was sitting in a high chair, a plate of eggs in front of him. Chris was taking his time on a plate of strawberry French toast, and Olivia had kept it simple with an omelette.

"What you got going on today?" Chris asked.

"I'm meeting with the girls, then I thought about taking Kai to the park."

Chris nodded as he took another bite. Olivia found herself admiring the way he looked this morning in a leather jacket and jeans. He caught her staring and smirked, popping a strawberry in his mouth. "See somethin' you like?"

"Maybe," she said, blushing and looking back down at her omelette.

"If you're still at the park when I'm done with my business, I might swing by with Marcus. That cool?"

She could feel little butterflies of anticipation flap their wings in her stomach. "Yeah, of course."

They small talked for a few more minutes before Chris went quiet mid conversation. Olivia was wiping food from Kai's hands when she noticed Chris didn't finish his sentence, and she looked up to find him staring out the window of the diner.

Out front there were three squad cars pulling in, lights going but no sirens, along with a black van. The side door to the van popped open and a handful of guys in tactical gear armed to the teeth climbed out. Olivia felt her heart slam into her throat. The first thing she thought about was Kai, and how if there was a shootout with a criminal, they would be caught in the crossfire. She could feel herself start to panic internally even though nothing had changed on the outside.