Six {Unobtainable Hopes}

There was a man with orange hair and the blackest eyes I'd ever seen staring back at me

I jolted, my head lolling to the side drowsily. I couldn't stop the movement, too tired to begin to fathom how to exert control over my limbs.

A groan left me, sounding as low and miserable as I felt. "Where am..." I trailed off, a headache pounding behind my eyes. Muscles twitching and my body going through the motions of rejecting me, I gagged, vomitting acid.

"Jesus." The man jumped out of the way, an assortment of colorful curses leaving him. "Captives always vomit on me, I swear to god—"

"You don't have to be here." I recognized the voice as Taehyung's. It was dry, but there was a lilt of amusement, something I'd never heard before. "Go on back to your owner."

"Owner?" The man sighed. "I'm not a dog." He paused. "But if I were, I'd be a Doberman."

"Try a corgi," Jungkook muttered.

"The insults; the misandry." The man tutted. "Once Nevian hears about this, he'll cut all ties with you."

"Sure," Taehyung drawled. "Or he'll hand you over to us so he won't have to put up with your jokes anymore."

"No," the orange-haired man negated. "He doesn't hate them as much as you do."

The door opened, denying any more bickering, and a panicked shout filled the room. "Florence!" Footsteps pounded across the floor, coming straight to me, and I lost it, bucking against the restraints and trying to wrench my hands free of the handcuffs.

"What is this?" a woman demanded, her voice wild, frantic, and familiar. "I told you she wasn't involved in the murders. She's my friend, and you're going to untie her right fucking now before I tie you up and blame you for a crime you didn't commit—see how much you like it."

"Yoongi calls the shots," Jungkook returned, frustration lacing his tone. "And she's still alive."

"Jeon Jungkook," she seethed, her voice rising as more bile rose in my throat. "You're lucky I'm unarmed."

"Oh, am I?" was his pissed-off rejoinder.

"Where is Yoongi?" she demanded, much closer to me than before. Nearing me, she placed her hand on my shoulder, her voice softening considerably. "Hey, Flo. Hey. You're okay. It's just me."

I screamed, the sound broken and rasped, much quieter than I wanted it to be. "Leave me alone," I stammered, everything hurting. "Don't—don't touch me."

"You're okay, Flo," she said determinedly. "I won't let them hurt you."

"You're lying!" I screeched, my voice high and shrill. "Fuck you and your games, and I—I don't want to play anymore. I want—" I broke down, tears streaming down my face as I heaved out sob after sob. "I want my mom. I want—just want my mom."