A Cold Winter

Genre(s):
Drama, Friendship

The Cast:
Kooky as Mina

Voxciera as Valerie

The Description:
Mina and Valerie, roommates who have been inseparable since their first day together, talk about the complexities of nature on a quiet winter night.

The Story:

With her chin resting on both hands, Valerie gazed upon the blue waters whose waves danced intensely with one another. Letting out a sigh, she shook her head. "Gosh. Just look at the ocean. I don't get it. Why do the waves have to be so... so bipolar?"

Her roommate Mina laughed lightly at this remark. They were lying on a quilt which had been placed on the extremely small patch of grass that the snow failed to cover.

Valerie sucked her teeth as she shifted her attention to the girl. "I am being serious. Can't they just remain still?"

Mina contorted her face into a serious look. "Yeah, it's true that the ocean can grow chaotic from time to time. But the important thing is, regardless of the state of the waves, be it calm or chaotic, the beauty of the waters remain."

Valerie's baby blue eyes swept over the large oak tree situated several feet away. Massive balls of snow had covered every inch of the structure, and the strong winds seemed so bent on blowing it to the ground. Mina groaned as a particularly strong gust blew in their direction, causing her jet black hair to fly in various directions.

Valerie suppressed a laugh at the sight, a moment that made her forget what they were talking about. But just like a butterfly that flew on top of a hand only to move away, the merry feeling in her heart was once more replaced by the heaviness that she had been struggling to shake off for the past several weeks. She heaved another sigh, ignoring Mina's piercing, watchful eye.

Valerie wrapped her own arms around herself, sucking in the icy air. "It's so cold during this time, Mina. So bleak and dark. If only we didn't have to go through this season every year. Then we would all suffer a little less."

Mina nodded slowly, placing her arms behind her head. Then a Valerie graced her lips as she looked up at Ali. "Well, you know what they say, Val."

When she got a confused look in return, Mina said, "The colder the winter, the sweeter the spring."

Valerie smiled at this and stared upward at the midnight sky, littered with multitudes of stars that revolved around the beaming golden sphere. She sucked in yet another breath of cold air, this time with a newfound light shimmering within the depths of her own little world.