Surprise

"Is this your doing, Ajax?" Childe's mother, Michelle, cupped my face with a worried look, her eyes fixed on the bandage on my neck. There was a quiver in her voice as she examined me. Ajax, standing in the doorway with a relaxed smile, watched us. For the first time, I could fully understand what this kind woman was saying

"Gosh, it was you who brought Luna here. 'Intruder,' you said?" she scolded him, her tone a mix of concern and reprimand. "What do you mean she's 'just fine'? Slitting someone's throat is fine? What would you say to Teucer and Anthon if they saw this?" Michelle's worry was palpable, her eyes darting between me and her son.

Ajax just smiled, leaning casually against the kitchen entrance, arms crossed over his chest. "She's just fine, Mom," he replied nonchalantly.

Tonia, standing nearby, chuckled quietly at the sight of her big brother getting an earful from their mother.

"It's fine, Auntie," I said softly, trying to ease her concern.Thud.

The basket Tonia had been holding slipped from her grasp, falling to the ground as if she had seen a ghost. Michelle's eyes widened in shock, her gaze snapping to me. "Did I hear that right?" Tonia asked her mother, disbelief etched on her face.

"I made her wear a magic bracelet for the language barrier," Childe announced proudly from behind, shrugging as if he had accomplished something miraculous. The smug grin on his face was almost comical. Well, in a way, he had.

The room fell into an awkward silence as everyone processed this new development. Michelle's initial shock gave way to a burgeoning excitement. She looked like she couldn't wait to share the news with the rest of the family—that they could finally have a proper conversation with me.Childe sauntered over, his face still wearing that self-satisfied smile. Did he expect praise? "I am so great that you just need to be grateful you met me," he declared, his tone dripping with arrogance.

I turned to him and nodded, unable to suppress a scoff. "I'll keep that in mind," I replied dryly before shifting my attention back to the excited Michelle and the now bustling kitchen. The room was filled with a mix of astonishment and joy at the sudden breakthrough in communication.

"..Take it as a thank you from me for accompanying them," Childe said, his voice unusually sincere. There was a rare softness in his eyes, but I didn't respond immediately. What had I done to deserve such gratitude?

Over the past few months, while struggling to learn their language, I had integrated myself into their daily lives. I had helped Michelle with errands in the city center, shopped for groceries, assisted Tonia with her culinary experiments, played with Anthon and Teucer, delivered Ajax's lunch while he was ice-fishing, and, most significantly, spent countless hours reading books to bridge the language gap. Teucer had been a surprisingly patient teacher, guiding me through the basics with the enthusiasm only a child could muster.

I realized that these small acts of integration were my way of repaying their kindness. They had saved me, given me a home, and treated me as one of their own. The least I could do was try to fit in and help out wherever I could. It was a meager repayment for their generosity, but it was all I had to offer.

Michelle, still buzzing with excitement, started making plans for all the conversations we could now have. Tonia picked up the fallen basket, her initial shock melting into a bright smile. The room buzzed with newfound energy, the language barrier finally breached.

As I watched the happy chaos unfold, I couldn't help but feel a warm sense of belonging. For the first time since I had arrived in Teyvat, I felt truly connected to the people around me.