strings attached

"I didn't realise you two were seeing each other" Jinah said as she creeped up on Jaemin from behind making him jump slightly. He wasn't one to get fazed so easily but seeing as how he was standing by the door waiting for Areum to finish up with the police, his nerves had got the best of him.

"W-we're not" Jaemin said quickly, trying to cover up the fact that the two were in fact in some way connected by more than just work, whether they had put a label on it or not

"Jaemin...I've known you my whole life. You don't need to lie to me" she said as her eyes softened a little towards the boy she saw as her other big brother. Jaemin was always a helping hand for her ever since she was a kid, looking after her when Jeno couldn't, making sure she was getting through med school alright. She knew that even by talking to him in this manner was putting them both in a hard position.

"...Fine. Yeah. I-I guess we are" Jaemin said with a sigh and Jinah bit the inside of her cheek at his admittance

"You could lose your job—"

"Well I almost...lost her today. So just...back off, okay?" He asked with frustration laced in his voice as his tired eyes stared back into her eyes. She always respected his work ethic, always putting his job first and taking it so seriously. But recently something was just wrong with him, the suspension and now out of work relations with an intern, it was all starting to add up. Jinah knew she should say something, it was her duty to make sure interns didn't have their jobs at stake. But she respected Jaemin enough to do as he said.

"Yeah...okay. Just...be careful" Jinah said simply and Jaemin nodded slowly, smiling a little at her as she turned around to leave him alone again. And it wasn't long until the door beside him swung open with a group of policemen walking out. He poked his head in to see her covering her neck with her jacket again, zipping it all the way up and successfully hiding any sort of bruise from him and everyone else.

"Hey" Jaemin breathed out, walking up to her from behind, making sure to keep himself from just turning her around and burying her in his arms. It was all he wanted to do right now but he just couldn't.

"Areum" he called out again, making her turn to him with glossy eyes as her tears threatened to fall. She had spent the majority of her evening just being smothered by pitying faces and people asking her again and again what had happened, making her relive the moment in her head so many times that it was practically ingrained into her memory now. She just wanted a break.

"What?" She asked, stuffing her hands into her pocket as she awkwardly looked up at him, worried to hear what he would say next. Would he just raise his voice at her again? Scream at her and tell her that this was all her fault because she's always so careless and stupid.

"Let's go home" Jaemin said softly, trying his best to not make anything worse as he saw her keep their distance, not seeking his comfort. Not because she couldn't, but because Na Jaemin no longer seemed to be her source of comfort anymore.

"Please? You need to eat something and rest" Jaemin pleaded, wanting to do everything he possibly could in his power to make her feel safe, because deep down he knew something had changed in the way she looked at him.

"Okay" she said simply, not wanting to argue or fight back with him anymore. The tone of her voice didn't seem to fix the frown on his lips as he looked down at her. She looked up into his concerned eyes with blank ones, confusing him and worrying him even more than before. And not much else was reciprocated between the two as Jaemin drove them both to his apartment complex.

The whole car ride was silent, Jaemin was itching to say something but he was too confused on whether to talk about what had happened or change the topic completely, both options seeming to make him seem like an asshole after their tense argument from just an hour ago. But unlike the car ride that had subtle music in the background, Jaemin simply couldn't stand the silence as they entered his flat.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jaemin asked as he watched her slip off her shoes, eyeing the way her body froze as she contemplated taking off her jacket infront of him, revealing the bruises around her neck and being vulnerable infront of him again.

"Can you please talk to me?" Jaemin pressed again, tearing her out of her inner quarrel but she slowly shook her head, clearing her throat.

"Why would I talk to you?" She asked, looking up at him again with the blank eyes that seemed to only remind him of how much he had just messed up. And that statement itself was enough to make him upset.

"What?" He breathed out with slight surprise

"Why would I talk to you?" She repeated, catching him off guard again and she let out a light scoff as ran her cold hand through the strands of her hair

"All you ever do is get angry at everything I do. You don't care why I did it or how I felt doing it you just—assume everything. So go ahead and just assume what happened" she said, moving past him to walk down the hallway of his apartment to enter his room

"Areum" he called out, hoping she would stop and turn back to him, look at him one more time to see just how saddened he really was from seeing her push him away. But she never did. And seeing as how she never came out of the room again while Jaemin was too conflicted on going in. Jaemin had accepted the silent terms to sleep on the couch tonight.

Both laying in the sheets metres away from each other, hoping the other would just push the boundaries they had somehow awkwardly built so high around them and console one another regardless of the circumstances.

A/n: lol i feel like im in an fwb situation now and lemme tell yall that its nothinggggg like my books 🤟🙄 im still so delusional lol