[ 029 ] Beck and Call

( ACT II. ── Uncertain Waters )
chapter twenty-nine / Beck and Call

✷        ·
  ˚ * .
     *   * ⋆   .
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
  ⋆ ·   *
     ⋆ ✧    ·   ✧ ✵
  · ✵

"Up top." Annika held her hand up into the air to high-five Leah. The grid was bustling, Hungary was humming with excitement, the race was on. The Grand Prix was set to begin any minute now. Annika's race suit was zipped up tight and she had her helmet hanging from her other hand. Ever since her performance in Silverstone, she had felt a significant lift of spirits; today, she had returned to the top five where she knew she belonged. Qualifying had been a dream for Mercedes, with Lewis getting pole and breaking another record, and Annika putting in a set of consistent top-five laps, ending up P5. She was more than delighted with that, considering everything that had been happening.

"Good luck," Leah said, and squeezed Annika's shoulder, "Talk to you in a minute."

Annika turned towards the car, surrounded by mechanics, and studied them closely as she began to sort out her helmet. She pulled her balaclava on over her braided hair and tucked it into her race suit; still, she kept a close eye on the mechanics. Her car had been fitted with upgrades to a majority of the rear wing functions. On went her helmet, and she shook her head violently to help nudge it down over her face. Buckled. Secure. She flipped up her visor.

People were running all over the place, leaving the grid or taking photos or hosting interviews, et cetera et cetera. Annika tried not to feel on edge, but couldn't help it.

A pat on her shoulder from behind alerted her to Lewis standing behind her, and she turned curiously. He was also fully dressed, helmet on, but his visor was down. Annika knew this meant a lot to him ─ continuing what he had started in Canada, regaining his dignity in racing. After the past couple of years, he had been routinely stepped on; not just by Max and Red Bull, but by his own team as well. She clasped his hand and he pulled her in for a brief hug, patting her firmly on the back. No words were exchanged, but the message was clear.

Let's keep our heads in the game.

Lewis departed as the track began to slowly clear. Annika climbed up her car and lowered herself down into the cockpit, putting her legs through and sliding down into the reclined seat. A mechanic handed her the steering wheel (thankfully still fully functional), and she slotted it in to connect all the systems, as well as plugging in her radio wires.

"Radio check?" Leah requested.

"Loud and clear."

"Copy. Are you feeling good?"

"I'm feeling good today, Leah." Annika said as the mechanics began strapping her in and tightening tbe restraints. "Thank you for being here for all of this. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it."

"Just doing my job," Leah replied with a smile in her voice.

"I'll be missing you when Lyndon comes back."